Computer games

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Perhaps some would be interested in a thread for PC games?

I do not have much time for these things anymore, but I just recently purchased Forza Horizon 4 (Ultimate edition).
And I have missed playing racing games, so much fun!
Now I've been having some issues with the entire game slowing down for some weird reason, even though I have more than enough hw to get higher than 60fps with most settings on Ultra. Just found out it may be related to some issues with the ridiculous "Windows Game Mode", hoping I will get it working this evening.

Forza 7 was a big letdown for me, with the homologation limits that I really did not understand, the auto homologation thing that was just horrible, and the game itself full of those annoying loot boxes and whatnot. For some reason buying a specific part would break some kind of rule or limit and it was sometimes a bit difficult to figure out which part was the culprit. If it was fixed in some patch I would'nt know, dropped it like a stone.

Been a big fan of the Civilization series for a long time, had probably over 4500 hours on Civ 4 with BTS expansion. Civ 5 and 6 felt very "unfinished" when they came out, so have sort of lost interest. Hoping that perhaps a future strategy game will be able to catch my attention. Really liked the old Alpha Centauri. And ofcourse things like Masters of Orion 2.

Really looking forward to "Outer Worlds" from Obsidian!
The Outer Worlds
Finally another spiritual sequel to the Fallout series!
Loved Fallout 1 and 2! Fallout 3 and 4 isn't really Fallout, Bethesda has managed to ruin it properly, thankfully they eventually had the sense to ask Obsidian to do Fallout New Vegas, which was a great game.

This is as close as I ever got to owning a computer game.

Attachments

• games.jpg
    games.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 358
Reactions: 1 user

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Solitaire on my old Windows

You seem to mean Microsoft Solitaire, introduced with Win3.0, 1990, developed by intern Wes Cherry, art by Susan Kare. Microsoft Solitaire - Wikipedia

Apparently Sol through XP can be directly installed on a Win10 machine, simply by copying the files over. (I'll be darned. It works on Win7, which hates most Win16 code. Files attached.)

_I_ play Junod's Sol, usually the 1992 version. It plays better for me. But Win7 objects to it. I keep an XP machine just for Junod's Solitaire. (Tho the screengrab above was taken from a virtual XP for my copy/paste convenience.)

Junod is best known for WS-FTP, the best FTP app ever. But he had EGA-Solitaire in 1988, apparently when Wes was poking at MS. Before that he programmed military training.

Attachments

• MS-SOL-30.zip
    184.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Junod-Artillery.gif
    Junod-Artillery.gif
    41.3 KB · Views: 297
  • EGA-Sol.gif
    EGA-Sol.gif
    42.9 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
I started writing games in 1982 after playing the Sinclair Spectrum game "Jet set Willy".
My game was similar but had one massive scrolling room instead of about 80 separate rooms.
I made up about 100 cassettes with the game on it and attended a computer fair with TV and Spectrum running the game.
Didnt sell a single copy !
So I got into writing PCBCAD software instead and sold about 3,000 copies over the years. If one market doesnt work for you try another.
Even the PCBCAD software market is saturated now with free stuff and paid for stuff.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The old Oberon (Vista/W7) games run on OK on W10 if you just copy the individual games folders of the games you want into a safe location such as documents. Each game is self contained and the folder has a start icon for that game. Doing this makes them safe from being deleted by MS during upgrades (which they do).

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-08-06 103311.jpg
    Annotation 2019-08-06 103311.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 281
Hah!
Fun seeing the highly varied preferences centered around solitaire and other builtin games.

Magicbus, why would you need to install the xp version of paint?
I just press *windows key* + R then type "mspaint", the new 3d paint thing is rubbish, though it can be used for very light graphics work, the newer version of mspaint is much faster to work with.

Back to game related stuff, the "Windows Game Mode" was indeed the source of heavy game lag, or rather, it was the delay to M$ servers varying between 190ms to over 1600ms... Delay to other online servers was below 20ms (mostly because I have a wireless usb thingy for network).
And for some reason shutting off M$ "Game Mode" was not possible...
So going offline when gaming seems the only solution, which is fine by me.
It worked wonderfully.

Speaking of "Pinball", I did make a tune using only sounds from Pinball.

Magicbus, why would you need to install the xp version of paint?
I just press *windows key* + R then type "mspaint", the new 3d paint thing is rubbish, though it can be used for very light graphics work, the newer version of mspaint is much faster to work with.

I just couldn't find my way with the win7 version -the old is "less" but simpler- plus there were compatibility issues with schems I've done with the old. I mean they would open but the line thickness wouldn't much exactly and things like that.

My main PC is old now, still running Vista, and barred from the internet. GfX card recently dies and I'm gutted. I hardly have time anymore but I have a few good games from XP era.

X2, massive nerdy trading game in space, sort of an evolution from Elite (back in the BBC micro days). I got it back in 2003, excited with my first Personal Computer a 2Dell inspiron 1100. Well it ran at about 1 FPS and it sucked and I still played the damned thing. On this PC it's how the game Should have been!

Or maybe something like Half Life (or HL2), for a 1st person. And the Portal mod...oh boy!

I made a tune with just sounds from that game (hasn't everyone with a DAW?)

I recently bought a Sega Dremacast for cheap, and have a bunch of games, emulators and ROMs.

My son has a PS2 which was mine too.

But i started with a Speccy 16k and and then later gor a Commodore Amiga 1200 (which was I think the first 32bit GFX)

I used to play Battlefield 4, tried Battlefield 1(WWI) and didn't really like it.
What time I have on the computer now does not include games. Though doing and re-doing PCB layouts in KiCad trying to reach a pleasing result is strangely satisfying, better than playing games tbh.

Very cool Nigel! Do you still have copies?

Sadly I dont.
What I did do with the Spectrum was write a multitasking Windows environment for it before Windows came out. I suspect if I tried my luck I could make a claim on Microsoft as I invented Windows first.

I do have a DOS version of PCBCAD2 which I wrote in the mid/late 1980's for a IBM PC. There were EVGA and VGA graphics versions.
It had windows on the screen for menu's etc The mouse pointer chose items from the menu's.

What I did do with the Spectrum was write a multitasking Windows environment for it before Windows came out. I suspect if I tried my luck I could make a claim on Microsoft as I invented Windows first.

Wouldn't that be a hoot? You'd need to pack a lunch though, ol' Bill's got some pretty fancy lawyers. Impressive work, regardless.

How did you distribute PCBCAD2?