Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Young ears
Young ears
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2019, 04:04 PM   #1
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Young ears

Just thought I’d share this as I found it rather interesting,

The grandchildren have been here causing chaos as they do, three went home last wk and one stayed for the rest of this month (10 yo girl) so things have finally calmed down and can actually enjoy her company one on one.
Last night I was messing around with the system and she was drawing on the floor at my feet as children do and I thought what a perfect opportunity to get a fresh young eared impression!
I was listening at a ‘highish’ casual listening level (probably low 90’s dB @ lp and asked her to sit up next to me while I played a few different types of music asking her impressions as we went along.....like, does this sound bright or hard, is it pleasant sounding or does it hurt your ears, etc.

I was expecting to hear her say idk how can you listen to that! But to my surprise she said ‘it sounds just like they were here’ and when I asked if it bothered her while she was drawing, her response was ‘I couldn’t hear it, like it disappeared’. Now I interpreted that as it must seem so transparent to her it just became background.

She hears very well So I come away from this with the impression that things must be dialed pretty good !
Old 17th July 2019, 02:23 AM   #2
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Young ears
Always hard to get impressions from people that do not have the vocabulary to express themselves.
That does seem like high praise, good on you.

Smooth top end can sometimes be one of the harder things to get right after the twenties (and at 20 how many people get it right then? Self delusional creature me, and especially so at 18-22).

Perhaps it's just us nutcases on here that are being difficult and chase after tiny niggles.
It's fun though!
Old 17th July 2019, 03:39 AM   #3
johnego is offline johnego  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman bob View Post
when I asked if it bothered her while she was drawing, her response was ‘I couldn’t hear it, like it disappeared’. Now I interpreted that as it must seem so transparent to her it just became background.

My best systems have always been the opposite. I couldn't work simultaneously with the music as the music will frequently steal my attention. When I 'forgot' there is music playing, it is not good. For example, you play one song and after several minutes you didn't realize the music has sopped. That's a bad sign. Boring system, which can be recognized in a few seconds of listening.

I like the kid to be 'disturbed', look around the system, sings along, or any other signs of interests. If she asked you to turn on the music, it's a good sign.
Old 17th July 2019, 12:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well I suppose impressing a 10yo isn’t much to brag about!

I was mostly interested in the sensitivity to something I might not be hearing, I know children are the ‘unruined’ version of our older ears.

She was bopping her head to the music while she was coloring (that’s what caught my attention) and I don’t see my system as boring in fact it’s quite dynamic.......when the wife said something about it being too loud she had Grampa bears back and said ‘any lower and it doesn’t bump right!’

Children do have shining moments now and again!
Old 17th July 2019, 01:42 PM   #5
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Young ears
Quote:
I was listening at a ‘highish’ casual listening level (probably low 90’s dB @ lp and asked her to sit up next to me while

That's too loud for young ears!
Old 17th July 2019, 02:41 PM   #6
paulfx is offline paulfx  United States
diyAudio Member

I wonder how high in frequency they can hear from a signal generator? When I was 20 I could hear up to 22KHz. Now it's 13K on a good day.
Old 19th July 2019, 06:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was mostly interested in the sensitivity to something I might not be hearing, I know children are the ‘unruined’ version of our older ears.

I think children only have better hearing in term of wider bandwidth (and power response sensitivity) and nothing else. This doesn't mean a lot, especially because top frequencies have high directivity which means your ears must be within a straight line in front of the tweeter to be able to hear the sound (which is rarely the case, especially if you design your speaker for off-axis listening). Ability to hear naturalness of sound, for example, which can be caused by the inter-modulation effect of top frequencies is not within children's expertise.
Old 19th July 2019, 07:29 AM   #8
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Listen to Grandma.
Old 19th July 2019, 08:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Listen to Grandma.

Nah, it's Gramma. Didn't you notice that the other three had been dismissed after making chaos? The 10 yo really really knows how to win her Grampa's
Old 19th July 2019, 11:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yah, I was exposed to loud music growing up, as was our children so the grandchildren should be no different. I think my appreciation for audio stems from my audiophile uncle who had an affinity for ‘loud’.
I honestly believe it would take much more than low 90db to inflict any damage.....if I’m wrong then everyone I know should be deaf.

If I could get her to stop dragging home every dead thing she finds on the beach we’d be getting somewhere!

Young earsHide this!Advertise here!