Young ears

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just thought I’d share this as I found it rather interesting,

The grandchildren have been here causing chaos as they do, three went home last wk and one stayed for the rest of this month (10 yo girl) so things have finally calmed down and can actually enjoy her company one on one.
Last night I was messing around with the system and she was drawing on the floor at my feet as children do and I thought what a perfect opportunity to get a fresh young eared impression!
I was listening at a ‘highish’ casual listening level (probably low 90’s dB @ lp and asked her to sit up next to me while I played a few different types of music asking her impressions as we went along.....like, does this sound bright or hard, is it pleasant sounding or does it hurt your ears, etc.

I was expecting to hear her say idk how can you listen to that! But to my surprise she said ‘it sounds just like they were here’ and when I asked if it bothered her while she was drawing, her response was ‘I couldn’t hear it, like it disappeared’. Now I interpreted that as it must seem so transparent to her it just became background.

She hears very well So I come away from this with the impression that things must be dialed pretty good !

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Always hard to get impressions from people that do not have the vocabulary to express themselves.
That does seem like high praise, good on you.

Smooth top end can sometimes be one of the harder things to get right after the twenties (and at 20 how many people get it right then? Self delusional creature me, and especially so at 18-22).

Perhaps it's just us nutcases on here that are being difficult and chase after tiny niggles.
It's fun though!

when I asked if it bothered her while she was drawing, her response was ‘I couldn’t hear it, like it disappeared’. Now I interpreted that as it must seem so transparent to her it just became background.

My best systems have always been the opposite. I couldn't work simultaneously with the music as the music will frequently steal my attention. When I 'forgot' there is music playing, it is not good. For example, you play one song and after several minutes you didn't realize the music has sopped. That's a bad sign. Boring system, which can be recognized in a few seconds of listening.

I like the kid to be 'disturbed', look around the system, sings along, or any other signs of interests. If she asked you to turn on the music, it's a good sign.

Well I suppose impressing a 10yo isn’t much to brag about!:p

I was mostly interested in the sensitivity to something I might not be hearing, I know children are the ‘unruined’ version of our older ears.

She was bopping her head to the music while she was coloring (that’s what caught my attention) and I don’t see my system as boring in fact it’s quite dynamic.......when the wife said something about it being too loud she had Grampa bears back and said ‘any lower and it doesn’t bump right!’

Children do have shining moments now and again! :D

I was mostly interested in the sensitivity to something I might not be hearing, I know children are the ‘unruined’ version of our older ears.

I think children only have better hearing in term of wider bandwidth (and power response sensitivity) and nothing else. This doesn't mean a lot, especially because top frequencies have high directivity which means your ears must be within a straight line in front of the tweeter to be able to hear the sound (which is rarely the case, especially if you design your speaker for off-axis listening). Ability to hear naturalness of sound, for example, which can be caused by the inter-modulation effect of top frequencies is not within children's expertise.

Yah, I was exposed to loud music growing up, as was our children so the grandchildren should be no different. I think my appreciation for audio stems from my audiophile uncle who had an affinity for ‘loud’.
I honestly believe it would take much more than low 90db to inflict any damage.....if I’m wrong then everyone I know should be deaf.

If I could get her to stop dragging home every dead thing she finds on the beach we’d be getting somewhere!

Hey, I’ve never been coddled and have never coddled anyone else......I believe children are fully capable of mastering their environment when left to it.

In other words if she found it too loud she was free to go find a ‘safe zone’:rolleyes:

Kevin......like I said everyone I know should be deaf, but yet they are not

Last edited:
Do you know Philip Larkin's poem "This Be The Verse"?

I will not ever stop a child from enjoying music the way it should be heard.....as I would never force a child to do something they found uncomfortable (except maybe eating peas!)

And I’ve never been to a 70db concert before.......maybe all the festivals we frequent should not allow children?

A young child will instinctively protect their ears from loud noises, before long though they succumb to peer pressure and stop doing it for fear of looking foolish and not fitting in.

I teach any children within my circle to trust their instincts and not give in to peer pressure......if it doesn’t feel right, don’t do it.
This of course makes for a strong willed, argumentative child but I figure that just readies them for diyaudio forum membership! :D

According to the attached chart, your grandaughter's hearing is safe in your hands for the duration of an LP.

If you insist on playing Led Zeppelin non stop she'll soon let you know! :)

Attachments

• Exposure Times.png
    Exposure Times.png
    176.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Not Led Zep Grandpa!.jpg
    Not Led Zep Grandpa!.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 81
Kevin......like I said everyone I know should be deaf, but yet they are not

Well I am (effectively) so perhaps more attuned to exposure risks than most. My first year in automotive work was spent in a stamping plant that did heavy metal stampings like suspension control arms on 2000 ton monster transfer presses. When walking through this area of the plant if you were talking to someone walking alongside you needed to scream as loud as you could and that wasn't really loud enough. This was 1970 and hearing protection just wasn't used. Fifty years later and I do well with hearing aids and sleep peacefully through the most violent thunderstorms. You don't appreciate good hearing until you don't have it anymore.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.