I think I've condensed in only 4 Laws the guideline for the best-in-class audio chain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
np Guerilla,

May I add that the output signal is at the same required level, both amps are working equally.
Input signal is lower in the high gain amp, if it means anything is that the lower signals are better amplified, less work, lower THD from the gain stage, the subsequent gain stage take over, for an output of the same power.

The lower gain amp will have a higher input signal, with less grounding path, higher noise, it could mean more THD for the input gain stage hahaha.

I know this is backward of what our instincts tell us. You think, gain=distortion, this is true... only in part, the gain design itself doesn't generate much distortion, it is the intensity of the signal going through it that matters.

(off topic, in tube gears, the signal is intense and low current, in SS the signal is low and high current, if the gain theory was true, all tube gears would sound 100x worse than SS)

It is so true that if you take a very linear amp and couple it to another, you could barely hear any difference. It is a good test to do on equipment to make sure it is 'transparent'.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.