"Life Hacks"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Figured I'd start a thread to ask you all about how you improvise when needed...

I've used a "Lucky Chinese Coin" as a washer for a switch.

The springs on the cover of my turntable don't support it's weight anymore, so I taped a steel part from a BMW drive shaft to the cover (it's like a washer for two...), and one of the actuator magnets from an old 160GB hard disk to the shelf above it...

I have Energy RC22 Pro as a trash find with blown tweeters. I couldn't find any 5 1/4" tweeters so I used a 5/14" midrange which I then ripped the cone out of and attached the leads to a Vifa tweeter (Paradigm Atom surplus) only by magnetic attraction. Works beautifully.

Your turn :D

I DIYed my AKGs K701. Uncomfortable head pushing cured in one minute with 2 sponges and an insulating tape :D ... the result are the most comfortable headphones in the world, ... the functionality 4-ever, design aside, exactly as MacGyver's bombs :D

Attachments

• AKG K701 DIY miro1360.jpg
    AKG K701 DIY miro1360.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Joined 2011
The Harmon Kardon 430 receiver in my video system had worn out switches and controls,
but otherwise was fine. I connected the FM tuner outputs to a pair of RCA jacks on the back,
and also connected the power amplifier inputs to another pair of RCA jacks on the back.
Now it is a tuner and a power amplifier. I'm using a clone JC-2 line amp for the switching
and volume control functions. It now works fine, and sounds much better than stock.

Last edited:
I had an old Honda 305 CC motorcycle. It was given to me for free because the splines were worn smooth on the shaft to which the gear selector lever was attached. I rode it for nearly a year with two pair of Vise Grips as the shifter.

In an attempt to mock up a big vacuum tube test amp using stuff that I already had, I started with my working 845 SE amp, removed the tubes and wired in an 833A tube with cheap Radio Shack clip leads. The filament of an 833A needs 10 volts and 10 amps, so a suitable transformer was found, and it was connected to the 833A tube with a pair of vice grips which also served to hold the tube upright. The plate and grid connections to the big tube were made with hose clamps.

The 1KV power supply in the 845 SE wasn't enough, so I wired in a 1500 volt 1/5 amp power supply from a Motorola VHF base station transmitter. I again used Radio Shack clip leads.

This existed for about 10 days of testing and disturbing the peace. It made about 200 watts which made quite a racked feeding a pair of 10 inch EV speakers with 100 db sensitivity, each.

Attachments

• RedGlow_x.jpg
    RedGlow_x.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 116
  • test_bench_x.jpg
    test_bench_x.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 117
  • TestAmp.jpg
    TestAmp.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 833A-1Glow.jpg
    833A-1Glow.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 106
  • LesPaulTest2.jpg
    LesPaulTest2.jpg
    778.6 KB · Views: 77
The AC temp control in my oldest pickup truck still has to be operated with needle nose pliers. The shaft is too worn down for a knob to stay on it anymore. The pliers live in the console.

I had a light dimmer like this. I hot glued it on... Maybe that would work?

I have a pot with a 1/8" shaft. I'm using part of a drywall anchor to make it 1/4" so I can use a standard knob.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.