"Life Hacks"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When we moved into our house we had nothing, and that extended to no alarm clock.
Well not quite nothing. Because I worked for a consumer electronics manufacturer I had one of everything they made. Unfortunately they didn’t make alarm clocks.
I was worried about waking for work the next day so I devised the following:
Put a pan on a high shelf with some string via a hook and attached to the VCR play button. Decks in those days had mechanical keys.
Wind the VCR tape to nearly the end and set a timer recording to start shortly before wakeup time. When it reached the end of the tape the play button jumped up.
Tada! At 07:something the pan falls to the floor and wakes us up with a startling sound.

When we moved into our house we had nothing, and that extended to no alarm clock.
Well not quite nothing. Because I worked for a consumer electronics manufacturer I had one of everything they made. Unfortunately they didn’t make alarm clocks.
I was worried about waking for work the next day so I devised the following:
Put a pan on a high shelf with some string via a hook and attached to the VCR play button. Decks in those days had mechanical keys.
Wind the VCR tape to nearly the end and set a timer recording to start shortly before wakeup time. When it reached the end of the tape the play button jumped up.
Tada! At 07:something the pan falls to the floor and wakes us up with a startling sound.

Wow! That's amazing. Lately, if I need to be up in the morning, I'll wake up about 5 minutes before the alarm would have gone off. I guess my inner chronometer is working better than it did when I was younger.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.