Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Snake oil for cars engine
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2019, 05:41 PM   #41
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtt View Post
As in,

Might as well do the heads,

At the same time .......?
As in itís a secondary yard truck for local hauling and boat transport to/from launch.

As long as itís got enough hp to pull my 24í boat out of the water it donít matter.....and seeing as I just pulled a 30í Grady White out last week that my buddies Chevy could not itís all good under the hood

In all fairness his was a a half ton with highway gears, my dodge is a 3/4 ton HD (1 ton pkg) with 4.10 gears.
Old 7th July 2019, 06:34 PM   #42
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
The first number in the SAE oil viscosity with the W suffix is only relevant to winter operation......
The range is relevant to starting cranking speed (and battery performance) a whole lot.

The way to read it is, "never thicker than 5 when cold and never thinner than 30 when hot". But the actual preferred SAEs is a matter of many details of interior engine design and that is a call only the manufacturer can make.

Funny, the ideal is constant viscosity, that is, the widest possible range.

lousy musician in post 21 said about all that can be said on this thread.

B.
Old 7th July 2019, 07:10 PM   #43
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

What I find interesting is that the cars sold in North America (US) specify 0W-xx oils, while in other countries the same cars will have 5W-xx called out.
This to me shows that the oil is a federally mandated thing and not strictly that of the manufacturer.
With that, I tend to oil equipment per the conditions and how I see fit after years of rebuilding and modifying engines.

Now if you really want to discuss snake oil, there is a product that I have used, off and on, for over twenty five years that has touted claims of 3% power increases in internal combustion engines.
Old 8th July 2019, 12:15 PM   #44
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Not sure about that, seems main reasons cars jumped to 0w30 is FAP exhausts and harder norms of gazoline cunsumption and CO2 reduction targetts. EU seems to lead here, maybe Japan as well.
Since ECO3 norms in EU I beleve cars are 0w30 since 2010 maybe and go soon to 0w20.

Fluider gives less friction hence reduction of emissions and cunsumption, dunno if better for the whole engine agging but a member also said what matters the most for engine long life is mainly additives.

Last edited by diyiggy; 8th July 2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 8th July 2019, 06:25 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Thatís the rationale behind it, yes.
Some countries donít fall for it, as the studies werenít all that convincing as to whether anything was gained by the lower viscosity.
Old 9th July 2019, 06:14 PM   #46
AVWERK is online now AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Safari - Jul 9, 2019 at 11:00 AM.pdf

Article on the use of thinner oils and the reasoning behind the shift

Regards
David

Last edited by AVWERK; 9th July 2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: .
Old 9th July 2019, 07:18 PM   #47
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVWERK View Post
Attachment 767332

Article on the use of thinner oils and the reasoning behind the shift
Yes, easy to see the benefits of slicker/thinner oil (including reduced effort to pump it around the engine... BTW, that's a lot of fast pumping and helps with cooling on some vehicles).

Odd to read about retro-spec'ing engines. Doesn't the oil that is spec has to work together with ring design, oil passages, turbos, etc?

But what are the downsides of thinner oil? Piston ring wear? Seepage past the rings and ring gaps when running and when off?

B.
Old 9th July 2019, 09:17 PM   #48
AVWERK is online now AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Tolerances need to be taken into account with thinner oil and the newer engines have tighter specs.
Better emissions and tighter wall clearances lessen blowby on warmup. Its one area thats dirties the air and your oil.

You don’t just swap to a thinner oil in an older engine.
Old 10th July 2019, 12:28 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Internal engine clearances really havenít changed in 50 years. Engine controls sure have though.
That can be a big surprise to put thin oil in a worn out engine, have had some of those that would smoke with cheap 10-40, yet perfect with 20-50.

As for the wear that one may suspect from a lower viscosity oil, that can be helped with better additives.
I would be concerned that more average quality oils would have additives that would not hold up as well in either the lower viscosity or with a huge split in viscosity rating. Maybe technology has helped here and allowed for this, but usually you get what you pay for.

In the end, there are piles of old worn out cars that are sitting in junkyards with good engines, so the oil would have to pretty much not be there in order for there to be a big problem.

I have a car that was to have the pistons and rings replaced under the order of a class action lawsuit, if the consumption met the threshold. The consumption was only half of what was required to qualify, and I didnít like the idea of a dealership rebuild when they struggle to change oil.
I have been using Mobil One 5w40 since I bought it, compression has gone up from 140 to 165 psi, and it runs strong, so Iím happy with it.
Old 10th July 2019, 07:42 PM   #50
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
..........Internal engine clearances really havenít changed in 50 years .........
And then how is it explained that in current engines no more periods of settlement are needed ?

Snake oil for cars engineHide this!Advertise here!