Cables - measurement and listening

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have lots of respect for Wes Phillips but to spend $7K on cables is like buying a Ferrari 458 to do grocery shopping at Albertsons. If it were me, I'd spend $7K to get myself some really decent system and make my own cables using my own hands. Sure it may not sound as nice as a set of high end cables but my hands will get some nice work outs.

Transparent Music Link Reference interconnect & Music Wave Reference speaker cable | Stereophile.com

That is the point of controversy, if it were "so good" it would be a demonstration that there are differences.
The sides in the cable issue seem to be strict. There are no grays, only whites and blacks.

I rest my case. Gentlemen: let the thread die. Do not give the onanist who started it with the sole purpose of trying to instigate discord the satisfaction of further posts here. He is just trying to provoke members who hold different views into a heated argument so he can get his rocks off laughing at you. Note that the above is the first post he has made here for some time, holds little relation to anything before, and is deliberately trying to trigger further unpleasantness.

I say again: let the thread die.

That is the point of controversy, if it were "so good" it would be a demonstration that there are differences.
The sides in the cable issue seem to be strict. There are no grays, only whites and blacks.

As an analogy to cables, I could never listen for any differences between difference DAC or digital source. For example, I currently have a pretty high end Ayre QB9 DSD costing about $3.5K and a cheap Rotel CD player. I do A and B but could not hear any differences. Maybe my high freq. hearing is pretty much dead, but well I couldn't hear any difference.

I also tried using different USB cables on the Ayre DAC but not able to hear any difference either. Maybe the Ayre DAC is so well designed so that it is impervious to any external disturbance caused from inferior USB cables, but I have heard people waxed poetic about differences made by USB cables, but my personal experiences proved otherwise. Lols maybe I need a $100K system to tell the differences.

So I guess the moral message is it's up to you. If you got the money, be my guess and spend all you want on cables. As in my previous post, if I had $7K to spend, without a doubt I'd spend all in my front end electronics like amp, speakers and so on.

For a long time, I've made cables from CAT5 and foil inductors bought from Madisound for around $25 dollars which sound not that bad at all. I've also spent three years on some plain Blue Jean Cables for around $100 dollars and I was just as happy. I recently upgrade to some QED silver cables which costs only about $50 dollars more but I felt like I got some nice improvement.

Hey with a bottle of cabernet sauvignon, they all sound the same lols.:)

Paraphrasing from my last: I rest my case. Gentlemen: let the thread die. Do not give the onanist who started it with the sole purpose of trying to instigate discord the satisfaction of further posts here. He is just trying to provoke members who hold different views into a heated argument so he can get his rocks off laughing at you. Note that the above link to a 1995 Stereophile wire review was the first post he has made here for some time, holds little relation to anything before, and is deliberately trying to trigger further unpleasantness. You are playing right into his hands by instantly responding and arguing about it, just as he was desperately trying to get you to do.

I say again: let the thread die.

That is the kind of crap that FORCED me to quit reading Stereophool long ago.

Mike

I was wondering how they make money. I occasionally got some free stuffs through my email but yeah you have to be so stupid to pay them for the monthly fee. I have stopped reading audio reviews a long time ago because I felt like they are all the same. I mean how can you read the same stuffs like "timing, soundstage, 3D, ..." or whatever they just make up to make things interesting. I was surprised people actually read it. I saw a Stereophile article and was like ... OK not the same stuffs again. I trust my own ears and that's it.

Sure maybe cables make a differences but after reading their reviews, one probably think cables are like god gift to men. Is there any difference? Probably but not at 7K for god sake?

Yeah, how does that Wes Phillips make his money anyway with those kind of nonsense? Stereophile is full of them I guess.

They make money by selling snake oil to "followers". I woul bet money that if I gave him 2 identical cables that were branded differently he would go on and on about how different they sound. Especially if one of the brands was buying ads.

They make money by selling snake oil to "followers". I woul bet money that if I gave him 2 identical cables that were branded differently he would go on and on about how different they sound. Especially if one of the brands was buying ads.

I agree. Ad money plays a big role. Nicolas Cage once said in one of his movies is that 90% of people decisions are made based on their mortgage money.

Status
Not open for further replies.