Soft-touch keypad membrane switch repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After 5 years, the keypads on our cordless office phones are reaching their cycle limit. Of course, the handsets are discontinued, no longer available and the only solution is a complete phone system. Even in our small office, that's several thousand dollars.

What's annoying is the only problem is the contacts on the (membrane?) switch pad are wearing off, leaving us unable to dial certain digits. Picture attached.

What I've done is to file some pencil leads into powder, mixed that with some PVA white glue thinned with water into a paintable slurry, and dabbed it onto the contact surface. It took a couple of tries to find the right carrier and viscosity, but this works fine right now. I have no idea how long it will last.

Replacement switchpads/membranes/whatever they're called would be the ideal solution, I can find no helpful resources for such.

Better or more permanent repair ideas would be most appreciated.

It's annoying to thing we need to replace an entire system over such a trivial problem.

Attachments

• NEC Phone membrane.jpg
    NEC Phone membrane.jpg
    979.4 KB · Views: 116
Bob, I was thinking about foils before trying the graphite. It seemed like it would be too stiff to stay in place, but gilding foil may be thin enough if an adhesive would be reliable.

ubergeek, those pads are neat, but this doesn't have those little carbon buttons. These contacts are pretty much painted on, and additional thickness would be an issue.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I seem to recall you could get those thin membranes in the past, but I couldn't find any just now. In my experience (as a telephony engineer with contact centre background) most handsets last very well indeed, usually well beyond obsolescence. So I'm interested what make and model these are to wear out in 5 years.

The buttons on my tv remote wore out in less than 18 months.As consumers should we not expect products to last more than a few months ?

We should. Here in NZ at least consumer protection laws explicitly stated that goods must last a reasonable period and for electronics goods that's generally accepted to be 3 or more years. For appliances 5 or more. It does help to keep the manufacturers and retailers honest.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.