Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Multilingual Confusion
Multilingual Confusion
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2019, 09:58 PM   #1
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Multilingual Confusion

Tools for electricians, "screwdriver", bits and extender. Like many things today, labeled in several languages. Klein is an old-school Chicago USA-based electrician

Now, I don't know much other than american english. But tech-talk tends to use common base-words across European languages, so I get some of it.

I don't think the Spanish and French say the same as the English.

On the "bits", where "power" appears in English, Spanish looks like "magnet" and French says "electric"?

Or are these ways to say "power" (actually, power screwdriver) in the other languages? I note that on the back of the Extension, "strong neodynium magnet" becomes "Potente imánde neodimio" and "Aimant neodyme puissant", so a literal "magnet" is a "imán" or "aimant". However the small print on the back renders "power tool" as "herramienta electrica" and "l'outil electrique", so "electric tool".

This is mostly curiosity. (Also, I intend to post a review where I got them.) I realize that an illiterate Siberian or Indonesian will "get it" without any words at all. But is it correct appropriate Spanish and French?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KT-1.jpg (145.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg KT-2.jpg (122.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 1st June 2019, 10:26 PM   #2
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Multilingual Confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
However the small print on the back renders "power tool" as "herramienta electrica" and "l'outil electrique", so "electric tool".
I'm no good with French or Spanish, but several other languages also literally have words that transfer to "electric tool" (or refer directly to drill, or whatever else it may be).
I think the US is where you just say "power tools" to whatever has some kind of motor, most of the rest of the world differentiates between any kind of gas/petroleum/diesel and electric variants.
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:10 AM   #3
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

No idea for Spanish but, yes, it's proper French for tools either powered by batteries or mains.
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:28 AM   #4
patagonia is offline patagonia
diyAudio Member

It doesent say the same, transaltion form spanish woud be "magnetic impact tips for profesionals"... Its an odd translation shoud say for profesional tools "herramientas profesionales"

Multilingual ConfusionHide this!Advertise here!