Capacitors for amplifier, opinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello friends, in the quest to further improve the sound, they find this configuration of capacitors for the ax14?

C1 (input): polypropylene or polyester instead of electrolytic
C 2, C 3, C 7, C 9, C 10: polystyrene, polypropylene or silver mica (order of preference)
C8, C11, C12 and C13: polypropylene

Thanks

(using Google translator)

Attachments

• APEX diagrama x14 v2.jpg
    APEX diagrama x14 v2.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 349
While polypropylene is very desireable in the audio path, size/available space is often
a limiting factor. Not familiar with the amp but would be surprised if you could fit a
10uf/25V pp in position C1, lucky you if you can.

Don't see any merit in using pp in C11, C12. Correct me if I'm wrong but this appears
to be a "noise-path", cheap polyester would be fine...

Very short answer, you will NOT improve sound doing those replacements.
Most ofn them do NOT fill any "Audio" function, areb there for stability and by definition work outside the audible range, go figure.
And linearity, distortion, etc. are irrelevant there.
I bet they are all ceramics (except the input one) and way more than competent for what they are asked to do.

Silvered mica do not contain silver

Silvered mica (not the colloquial "silver mica") refers to the deposition of metal (not silver) on to the sides of mica sheet. So mica is the dielectric and the plates are made of metal. These caps have very stable capacitance values and usually found in RF oscillator circuits and tuned filters where you don't want the capacitance value to drift.
The mica dielectric is not good for audio use. Better dielectrics are air, polypropylene, polystyrene, teflon.

Thanks for the answers !!

I found an Axial, polyester, 10uf 63v MKT1813 at Farnell, but it's 15mm in diameter, big.

It has another, a polyester cap 4,7uf 63v MKT1813 smaller diameter, fits in place. I think that's the one.

C6 without space, will be electrolytic quality.

In C1, 0.47uf is too low?

That’s very true that Mylar can sound worse than some electrolytic parts, can’t judge the part strictly by the dielectric either.
The world is full of parts that make your system sound bad.
The world is also full of people who don’t care about how it sounds it seems from opening up various devices.

I would maybe stick with a ceramic for C2, not that I am a fan of ceramic caps for sound, but that that part tends to function better in keeping the high frequencies out of the amp there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.