Sense of vertigo from noise cancelling?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello.

My work office is really noisy (Yes, I actually think 30db noisefloor is too much), and the car I drive for work is even more noisy (actual noise! Beat up WV transporter with crap roof mounts).
So I got some reasonably priced noise cancelling headphones, I think they're great!

But as I sat down and tried them in my office for the first time, I started getting a sense of vertigo, IE like I was very far away from any and all solid surfaces.
I don't smoke any weird stuff and no meds, just so that's ruled out.

Sound of the music was set to as low as possible, just to have something over the relative but not complete quiet.
Took off the headphones and reality started creeping back.
Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Maybe it's just me that's not used to this stuff, the first few hits are the best, no?
Or perhaps I'm "hearing things"?

On that note, it seems the noise cancelling thingy has some inherent noise as well, still much better than without though.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
We self-locate in part by sound.

Say we have 5 senses. Smell and taste don't say where we are (dogs' smell maybe some). That leaves 3 senses. You are "blinding" 1/3rd of your clues to where you are in the world. If you also close your eyes, you have only your butt and your inner ear to tell you where you are.

So part-way down the road to Sensory Deprivation, which IS pretty spacey.

There is a certain spot in our office that gives the same effect, regularly, I have noticed.
No headphones, just a tiled bathroom with multiple hissing hvac going that create the effect.

Can only imagine how we as humans must have relied on our hearing to hunt and stay alive in years past...

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
..we sense space by the incidental sounds we make reflecting off our environment...

Yes, we (mostly unknowingly) active-locate like bats.

But we also passsive-locate. Phase's "tiled bathroom with multiple hissing hvac". I'm sure if he suddenly woke-up in that bathroom he'd know where he was, and if near the door or the sinks or the potties, by multiple hisses and reflections.

And yes: the main need for hearing is to know where the twig-snap under a tiger's toe is coming from (go the other way fast!), and then to hear the rabbit in the brush. All this scraping on catgut through paper cones for "ear pleasure" is not the real reason we have ears.

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Just wear them for a while, and at some point, suddenly you won't have a problem.
Some complain about being in an anechoic chamber, too.

Yes, I remember part of the same sensation from when I was 15 and walked into one. That was really weird, very good experience.

All this scraping on catgut through paper cones for "ear pleasure" is not the real reason we have ears.

WHAT?! :eek:
I thought music and consumption of substances leading to altered sensory input was part of a tried and tested mating ritual?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.