Wintergatan-job done!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used to watch every video along the way from drawing board to machine, but I missed several over the last year.

The old marble machine took about 16 months to build, and was not portable so it never moved. Nearly 2 years ago it was disassembled, and moved to a museum where it was reassembled. It was a hand made design with all unique mostly plywood parts, made with only a few paper sketches for plans.

This machine was the other extreme, a full CAD design using CNC made, and outsourced parts from all over the world and a design team scattered all over the world as well. Planning started when the old one was decommissioned. Some subsections were prototyped early, but the full buildup started over a year ago.

This one can be broken down, moved and reassembled.....They even promise to take it on tour and do a MMX album. Definitely a MAJOR project with ample opportunity for failure......flawlessly executed to near perfection.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am absolutely fascinated myself. I love the intricacies and precision (mind you not all the balls off the drum land in the collector tube :)) of this beast. I have to wonder about the return on investment. Thousands upon thousands of hours for...? Are they able to raise enough money through temporary installations to make this one of a kind project worth it? You can't just do this for fun.

The economics are an interesting part of the whole deal. Namely, it's crowd sourced, both from the perspective that people are donating (e.g. patreon) to the project *and* the ad revenue from the view on YouTube/Twitch/etc. The additional machining help has come from individuals who also are funded by similar sources.

In many ways it's a crowd source art piece. I can't imagine it's any more than a labor of love though as the remuneration can't be much above cost + barely feeding the artist.

Sometimes, those of us with creative minds build something impractical just because we can. The marble machine was something far beyond my wildest dreams. Most of my crasy dreams were discarded, or failed early on in the build. The giant digital music synthesizer I started building in 1971 started making music in late 1972, but the final argument between my father and I resulted in it's destruction and me leaving home with a car full of my belongings. The synth (built into and on top of a Hammond organ cabinet), probably several thousand tubes, and a lot of stuff were trashed. That tends to put a damper on creativity.

The first machine was like that, highly impractical. It couldn't even be moved......but the "instant hit" status it created on YouTube created credibility for it's creator, and the rest of the band. Otherwise they would have never been heard outside Scandinavia. Their talent as musicians kept us watching through the details of the second machine's design and build. This guarantees a good audience when the machine and the band do their album / tour.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.