flight 19

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can program a drone or plain follow thatb route with a light plane ... any plane actually.

The problem is that the *programmed* route is known, but at some point they got lost ... nobody knows where.

But short ago a crashed Avenger was found in a swamp in Florida ... maybe it was at least one of them.

As of the Bermuda Triangle itself, a few ships and planes were lost along the years ... but tens of thousands (or more) have crossed it since forever with no problem, so ...

There have been multiple attempts to trace and follow the track of flight 19. I lived in the Miami / Ft.Lauderdale area from 1952 to 2014. There have been several TV documentaries, and dozens of theories as to what happened. Every few years or so there would be some "new" evidence or discovery alleging that the mystery was solved. Our local newspaper had stories about flight 19 every year or so, but they won't let me read them any more unless I pay for a digital subscription.....My limit of free reading has been reached. Google finds several Sun-Sentinel (the Ft. Lauderdale print newspaper) articles. I can't read them, but this may be interesting:

Flight 19 solved? Two sleuths say yes - Sun Sentinel

I was on a 34 foot sailboat headed for Bimini way back when I was about 19 years old. I was the oldest person on board. One of the people with us was about 15 and had not been on a boat much and this was the first time he had been more than a mile offshore, or out at night. It's about an 8 hour trip, made before GPS or sat phones. About halfway into the trip the wind vanished, the sails went slack and the sky went dark, no moon or stars.

I must admit that a total calm sea coinciding with darkness in a previously clear sky is weird. When a storm covers the sky, the wind and waves usually pick UP, not die, but Florida is known for weird storms.

The kid had heard all about the Bermuda Triangle, and yes, we were in it....he began to panic. No problem, we will just start the auxiliary engine and keep going. When I hit the key, the entire boat went dark. Kid began to seriously panic. Boats like that have two sets of batteries and a BIG switch, so I switch to battery #2......nothing, still dark. Kid is now puking.

We set sail with another similar sized boat for a rendezvous in Bimini for a weekend of diving and partying without adult supervision, but lost sight of them shortly after leaving Miami. Our marine radio was dead since we had no power, but we had brought some CB walkie talkies, so I gave one to Kid to keep his mind off the real issue. The other boat was owned by a big league heart surgeon, and was well maintained, and stocked with fancy tools and stuff like a portable generator. The boat I was on was maintained by me and the owner's son, with near zero money input. This trip would be the biggest journey it had been on in years.

The boat also had an auxiliary generator and battery charger, but it was electric start.....

The son of boat owner set out to hand crank the generator which brought no results. A later autopsy would reveal a stuck exhaust valve.

I set out to investigate the battery situation which revealed lots of green corrosion. Armed with a flashlight, a diving knife and a pair of Vise Grips, I climbed into the bilge and went to work.

An unknown amount of time later (seemed like hours) I hear Kid screaming at the walkie talkie and voices coming back out of it. He had made contact with the other boat. OK, we can HEAR them on the radio, but we can't SEE them anywhere. Over water those cheap walkie talkies can reach for miles.....they could be anywhere.

We got them to put a spotlight on their sails for visibility and all we had was a couple flashlights, but eventually we spotted them, met up and got some tools, lights, and.....the Kid jumped ship...He wanted no part of the "demon boat" any longer. We put enough of a charge into the dead battery to get the motor started and continued east....further into the triangle.

Once we returned to Miami we ripped into the boats electrics and found lots of corroded stuff, fixed the generator, and several other things. I fully understood exactly why everything happened and fixed most of the stuff that caused it. The Kid never set foot on either sailboat again. He was convinced that it was....The Triangle."

Whoa Mr. Tubelab, you really got me going there!

Since we're on diyAudio, we should add a soundtrack to your story!

Attachments

• The Bermuda Triangle.jpg
    The Bermuda Triangle.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 131
I am convinced that most of the incidents in that sea area were caused by pilots flying by eye in the days when instruments were either not available or were very expensive.
There is said to be two strings of islands that look the same from the air and if you get the wrong one the plane simply runs out of fuel and falls into the sea.

My only visit to the Bermuda Triangle. I am not generally a believer in paranormal stuff. But my girlfriend and I were at a shore seafood restaurant. They had a deck right over the water. That was where I proposed. She was admiring the ring, but it slipped from her grasp, and fell into the water. Just at that moment some largish fish ate the sparkling ring and swam off. I hoped my new fiance enjoyed her diamond for the two minutes.

Later that evening, we ate dinner at that restaurant "Freshest fish on the beach". As my girl was eating her fish, she bit down on something hard...

It was a bone.

pilots flying by eye in the days when instruments were either not available or were very expensive.

There was very limited instrumentation when offshore in 1945. Ground based radar only saw so far and it's range depended on the altitude and size of the aircraft.

There were VLF radio beacons which should have been receivable in those planes. Radio Direction Finding technology existed, and was used in WWII. On our Bimini journey there was ZBB in Bimini and the tower is tall enough to be seen for 10 to 20 miles. It may be gone now. It was the only blinking red light in the eastern sky. WQAM radio 560 KHz Miami had it's tower IN the water just offshore of downtown Miami. It went on the air in the 1920's and is still on the air today although the tower has been relocated. It's the tallest red light in the western sky and puts out the strongest radio signal. Both are receivable with an RDF and can provide a path to follow home.

Its easy to lose bearings when all you can see in every direction is water. I was taught that if got lost in the Atlantic, point your boat at the setting sun and go until you find land. At worst you could wind up in Cuba, or if very unlucky Mexico. In 1945 Cuba was a popular US tourist destination.

It is said that a strong storm was the prime reason for the planes disorientation. It would seem that the brightest section of the horizon would be west.....but then again, we weren't there.

There have been many incidents in the Bermuda Triangle, more ships than planes have vanished without a trace. The Atlantic is a big pond with some deep spots, and some where there are hundreds of feet of sand on the bottom. Shipwrecks from a hundred years ago or more are still being found, recently uncovered by the changing currents of the Gulfstream.....then there is the lost city / continent of Atlantis....we haven't found it yet either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.