How do you retire?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How about being a good engineer, who is just sick of it all? Especially if they are on this ‘documentation’ kick which to ME indicates they’re preparing to get rid of everyone who knows what the f they are doing?

Not only does there need to be enough funds in place to take care of the years between 56-ish and 65, but I’m having to ratchet my income down the next couple years so I don’t end up paying out IRMAA on my wife’s Medicare for a year and a half AFTER I pull the plug. Just this past year our coverage at work was no longer considered ‘credible coverage’ for Medicare, so I had to switch her over before all this new bulls*** happened. And pay the extra high premiums NOW so we don’t have to later. I could probably get by without insurance if I had to. She can’t.

get rid of everyone who knows what the f they are doing?

I worked in a research group as an "IC development engineer" for the last 12 years of my employment. In reality I designed and BUILT prototypes and EVB's to test and prove the usefulness of our chip sets. Some of these prototypes were fully functioning two way radios.

It started to become obvious to anyone paying attention that the spreadsheet pushers were the ones calling the shots, and the bottom line was often the deciding factor is who, or what stayed, or went. I refused a promotion for the last 15 years I worked there since I already stood out on age and length of service.

Around 2013 they started eliminating all the support groups. The machine shop, the PCB fab house, the engineering stock room were all places where I could get parts, boards or custom chassis work in one or two days.....gone.

A simple test fixture that used to take 3 or 4 days to make, now took a month. If I wanted to try something, I could have a two layer board in my hands in 1 day, a 4 layer board took two days, and a 10 layer HDI board, maybe 4 or 5. Now they had to come from Malaysia.......time to take the buyout and leave.

if they are on this ‘documentation’ kick

How about" document your job function so that it can be mirrored overseas for greater capacity." Sometimes that was followed by "train this new guy to do your job." In a few cases that was followed by, "now crate up all your equipment and ship it to him." Bye Bye.......

How about" document your job function so that it can be mirrored overseas for greater capacity." Sometimes that was followed by "train this new guy to do your job." In a few cases that was followed by, "now crate up all your equipment and ship it to him." Bye Bye.......

Yeah, in the broadcast engineering job boss wanted me to write a comprehensive step by step maintenance manual for all the transmitters. Something that a new grad could read to replace me. Which would have worked fine for them until a transmitter crashed at 5pm on a Friday. But somehow I just never wrote the manual.

I had already created such a manual for a previous station. As well as going through and documenting the signal path from STL receiver to transmitter input. Nobody notices such things... until they are needed.
Doc

Leasing out the hay rights is a possibility but I would still probably need a tractor and bush hog to keep the property under control. The barn would have to go. I've requested a quote from a salvage company to see how that would cost.

I plan on gardening between 3000sq-ft and 5000sq-ft so the tractor would be use full there too.

Another "must have" is a rifle range as I shoot a good bit. This property has a nice 200 yard area starting on a rise, dropping down about 20', then rising again with a major hill/mountain as a backstop. With proper preparation this can be a safe shooting range.

I've downloaded a lot of info from the county web site.

I put the probability I will go with this at 20-25%. But if not, it at least puts me in a mode to start looking at what it is going to take to move and with 20 months till I retire it is time I started figuring out what to do.
I would suggest starting off small, say a worm farm.

This is how I retired.

I worked as a Pipe Fitter Welder, got injured/disabled, went back to school, worked as a Mechanical Engineer on high tech projects; hospitals and research labs. A key thing here if you are not yet retired or even if you are is to have a reserve pile of money or better yet buckets of money set aside for the things that come along. I call it being able to afford to have a case of the red-*** and quit your job and go do whatever else you want to do.

Over the years I always maxed out the IRA’s, 401k’s plus had the old school retirement plan. Always paid cash, never went into debt. Saved my money so I could afford an attitude.

Before I was even close to what is normal retirement age my wife of many years got brain cancer and took nearly 3 years to complete that unplanned path. I took a leave of absence from my day job and returned to work a couple of years later. I returned to work and lasted only a couple of months and developed a case of the Red-A** I spoke of earlier.

I still teach mechanical systems, building automation, software and controls a few hours a week. Otherwise I do whatever I please.

No farm for me, that sounds too much like work.

Thanks DT

Retired two years ago, as I felt my body was slowly falling apart, but came back last summer for 4 months to fill in for a college who had had a close encounter with one of the saws.
Gave up our 2 bedroom flat in March to move to a smaller (and cheaper) 1 bedroom flat planning to stay here until I am wheeled out in a plastic bag.

But life as a pensioneer is boring, especially as I have 57 unfinished projects but cannot get my *** of the wagon to finish any of them ....

Retired two years ago, as I felt my body was slowly falling apart, but came back last summer for 4 months to fill in for a college who had had a close encounter with one of the saws.
Gave up our 2 bedroom flat in March to move to a smaller (and cheaper) 1 bedroom flat planning to stay here until I am wheeled out in a plastic bag.

But life as a pensioneer is boring, especially as I have 57 unfinished projects but cannot get my *** of the wagon to finish any of them ....

If arthritis (or other itis’s) are your problem you should try CBD oil ...if it’s available in your country.

It’s worked wonders for me.....I raced dirt bikes (scrambles/enduro) for 15+yrs
And now have every itis known to man!

Healthier diet and CBD has allowed me to move again.....I was basically disabled b4 starting on it.

It has no THC therefore no ‘buzz’......there was a couple brands that caused lethargy or just didn’t work but once narrowed down I can’t say enough how much of a life changer this stuff is.

Bob

Have no other physical condition than some bad discs in the lower end of my back. I am very mobile in any way, had planned for a 20-mile bike ride today but it's a bit stormy and heavy rain.

And I guess there's som ADHD or Asberger that puts sticks in my wheels when it comes handling the "must-do-list".

(But I can ask Mrs K to bring some drops over when she comes to see me in August, and I can recommend her to try CBT ..I mean CBD-oil as she has problems with her joints.)

I had a really hard work, lifting tons every day, working with heavy tools in odd working positions and with the "disc-thing" that came the first years when we were just two people in the workshop and I did a lot of absolutely forbidden manoevres.
So, to save my body (discs) from collapsing totally I retired early.

Got ya, Good call !

My wife says I gotta go back to work after finishing our house I built from ground up (3rd year now) and it’s about done.....maybe I could drag the entertainment center out for another year? :D

I wonder how many DIYAUDIO folks get a second career babysitting grand-children.......Baby sitting or raising?

And to top it off, they all seem content with audio out of a laptop speaker or a set of white wires.

If arthritis (or other itis’s) are your problem you should try CBD oil

I am losing the use of my hands. Guitar playing is now pretty much impossible and soldering is becoming difficult. It seems to be a nerve damage thing since I can't feel my finger tips any more. Doctors don't have many ideas either......here's some "happy pills." They are worse than the disease.

I guess there's som ADHD or Asberger that puts sticks in my wheels

I have fought that issue for my whole life. It seems now that there are far more distractions than there were 50 years ago.......excuse me, my phone just told me to watch this Youtube video.

I am losing the use of my hands. Guitar playing is now pretty much impossible and soldering is becoming difficult. It seems to be a nerve damage thing since I can't feel my finger tips any more. Doctors don't have many ideas either......here's some "happy pills." They are worse than the disease.

Have you tried CBD?.....it’s supposed to have all sorts of health benefits.

I have fought that issue for my whole life. It seems now that there are far more distractions than there were 50 years ago.......excuse me, my phone just told me to watch this Youtube video.

I suffered two heart arrests, the first one 2006 which resukted in "depression", as I suddenly found it hard to concentrate and go on with projects. The second one 10 years ago was a really bad one and that definitely took away most of my "cruising speed". Being an "odd one" before the heart issues didn't make things easier.

I see a chiropractor every now and then and she has some really interesting methods. She puts needles in hands and ankles and try to find the place that hurts most when puncturing me. Then she massages/rubs/vibrates my spine up and down to loosen it up. After a session I can feel my feet again and the cotton wads under my soles are gone.

Got my grandkids far away, but "see" miss Ella Jo in Chicago more that my grandkids here in Sweden, maybe because her family is more inviting and my eldest daughter is expecting her first child :D

Cleveland Clinic has a hand neuropathy clinic, pretty easy to get an appointment with them.

My brother in law is/was a periodontist -- but he's selling his practice for similar reasons.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
"How do you retire ?"

Nothing original while important as already said :

near people you love and whom love you if lucky enough
near medecine places, food shops, social entertainment
near places you can walk and/or make exercices (needed for a more healthy futur).

If money is a problem for three options I will choose the first. If the first is to expensive cause too much expensive area and if not possible (even with smaler flat/house) then the second option.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.