High End audio electrolytic capacitors vs China cheap generics caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace all electrolytics in my Pioneer A9 those being to old and having a strange smell coming from the amp. They smell like a combination of fish, perspiration and pee :mad:.

What would be the sonic benefit of adding high end audio electrolytic capacitors to my amp compared to ultra cheap China caps ?.

All audio caps would cost me a lot but using Ebay and Alibaba I can sort the problem for very cheap buying from different merchants from China and HongKong.

If it says "Ebay", "cheap" or "Chinese" then do yourself a huge favour and walk away.

I bought some irpf240's for an amp off ebay.
Powered up the amp and it sounded great.
Then unplugged my soldering iron and the amp blew the 240's.
So I bought in some genuine parts from RS Components.
Despite trying very hard to blow them with plugging in/out and arcing and they wouldn't blow.
The fake parts probably had a low breakdown voltage and the spike on the mains blew them up.
Buy cheap, buy twice !

What would be the sonic benefit of adding high end audio electrolytic capacitors to my amp compared to ultra cheap China caps ?.

It is perhaps amusing that among the many replies not even one addresses your question.

The China cap upgrade will also be amusing as it will make your amp sound worse than the original smelly caps.

As for the "high end audio"... not sure exactly what this means without mentioning specifics. Those will all have a sonic flavour, which may, or may not be to your liking. If you are, of course, inclined to hear such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.