Notre Dame cathedral

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This way it will be put to a more "inclusive" use
If by that you mean an even higher ratio of aimless tourists to worshipers - probably.

I like the idea of steel beams. Opera Garnier is a steel frame building but you wouldn't know it to look at it. Certainly much could be done with modern materials while retaining a classic look. It would be fascinating to read what people in thought during the 19th century restorations.

I have heard about shortage of big trees before.

In Ontario we have Algonquin Park, which used to be home to giant pine trees, so huge and strong that the British Navy harvested them for ship building, big masts from one giant tree trunk. The Park was harvested and today there are very few of those giant pine trees.

Restoring Notre Dame, should not include steel instead of wood (or pretending to be), and no steel would not look like wood. Fusing modern architecture? Put it to a more inclusive use? Maybe a convenience store, or a starbucks, or a tim hortons! Maybe we should make the pyramids more inclusive, and what about the Western Wall or The Dome of the Rock? Ugh, I hope none of the people involved in the process think this way.

Restoring Notre Dame, should not include steel instead of wood (or pretending to be), and no steel would not look like wood. Fusing modern architecture? Put it to a more inclusive use? Maybe a convenience store, or a starbucks, or a tim hortons! Maybe we should make the pyramids more inclusive, and what about the Western Wall or The Dome of the Rock? Ugh, I hope none of the people involved in the process think this way.

I find your straw man argument faintly enjoyable. It is a nice sunny day here.

An understanding of craft trades and architectural practice will show that cathedral building is a veritable hodgepodge of everything but the kitchen sink - all disingenuously spliced together. Those unique wooden oak beams in what was the roof are never coming back. It would be impossible and somewhat pointless to replicate the original structure. Nothing lasts forever.

Maybe a 3D print as a 21st century rebuild is actually a good idea.

I'm sure Macron is hell-bend on getting this done before the 2024 Olympics in France, hence the 5-year plan. It'll be a hell of a job.
With the modern machinery and construction material production & shipping capacity, I don't see why not. Unless there is something about French you know about that I didn't... :scratch2:

As I've brought up before, when listening to radio stations in Switzerland at 2 pm, they will address the time in such way,
German speaking station: It is exactly 2 o'clock now.
French speaking station: It's maybe little before 2 or maybe little after 2.
Italian speaking station: It's around 2 o'clock.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yup, its because of where we live:

403 ERROR
The request could not be satisfied.
The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.
Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: G-dtBQ_1FM7A_VFGL3427EYI9ApmxxzYIiv8sg_VM5Oj1pojJinKOg==

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Low-quality version of Danby's cartoon:

Attachments

• Danby-17Apr2019.gif
    Danby-17Apr2019.gif
    87.1 KB · Views: 229
"Thinking out loud, it could be a better thing to take the best of what has survived and fuse it with a state of the art modern structure as a symbol of French unity in what are unsettling times. Let's not forget that in its day, medieval cathedral construction was 'state of the art' giving birth to hybridised structures that evolved over centuries. " -tapestryofsound
I know it is a matter of taste, but this idea seems awful to me, rebuild it (hopefully), or, build something else, but not both. Most modern (at the time) architecture, seems to age poorly, some styles may become classic and be desirable long after construction, but they are few.

Will be traveling to the south of France today, my wife is French, her family, Nice, Monaco, and a few other spots are on the agenda. We will be based in La Cadiere D' Azur, 40 minutes from Marseille. My father in law Andre is a handsome, charming, and very stereo typical Frenchman, looking forward to seeing him!