boutique capacitor haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I can't understand is why too much interest in "high quality capacitors" while very few are interested in high quality tubes, sockets, resistors, chassis, transformers, wires, solder, etc.
I use only solid colophony resin and sometimes I make my own liquid flux mixing that with izoprophilyc alcohol and I like to inhale the smoke

Last edited:
I use only solid colophony resin and sometimes I make my own liquid flux mixing that with izoprophilyc alcohol and I like to inhale the smoke

robert2017,

Presumably, you only work with lead based solder, as well as rubbing alcohol and pine resin.

If you do, then I sincerely hope you use nitrile gloves to avoid dermatitis, and working with either a VOC respirator or a hooded ventilator as essential must haves. Otherwise you could be having ruinous effects upon your mental and physical health, with symptoms completely unawares to you, but quite obvious to others.

As someone with an elementary understanding of toxicology, I am trying to be kind here.

ToS

BigE said:
That *must* come from somewhere.... why can't parts have an effect ?
Almost all non-linear distortion comes from active devices e.g. transistors, valves. A bit more comes from wound parts like transformers. Very little comes from other components like resistors and capacitors. This is why it is so amusing to find Faradaphobes ditching capacitors in favour of transformers. Don't mention the transducers.

^To be fair, someone who doesn't know better, rebuilding an old amp is going to notice dried out caps a lot more that a still-working-as-advertised transformer. Easy to get the wrong impression.

Anyways the OP, I believe, has been thrown into the sin bin a few times for rants such as this (or worse and I didn't see the offending material). And the whole thing is not insightful, even trying to look past the huge logical fallacies. Nothing to see, move along.

The sound gets damaged when the circuit is crap. Otherwise, a cap is like a piece of wire.
Is not really a piece of wire .What about the coupling nonpolar caps filtering the signal . I have 2 in Technics SU-3500 that are playing the high freq. Right now I listen thru some 47uf Nichicon ES caps. I think is to much . For such position using an electrolytic is unacceptable sound being to unnatural because of Resistance Rs, Inductance Ls, Capacitor Impedance Z, DC Leakage and other factors. Replacing those with some proper film will create a more warm sound retaining all the details but with less fatique

Attachments

• tone circuit board.jpg
    tone circuit board.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.