when technology has actualy slowed us down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know nothing about OTL except transistors amps, and many are bad.

My reference in transistors are Accuphase. Tube amps have fast and clear sound if they have good transient power, like a push pull kt120 on 700V and 60mA with 100+ watts output transformers is very dynamic.

What I mean with tube computers is that we wouldn't be chatting on forums, there would be no ipods ipads and cell phones to harass us. In that sense time would be to us and we would be happier.

Tubed OTL amplifiers are still being produced, and some might say advanced, by small “boutique” designers, but pardon the question- what is this OTL speaker technology of which you speak?
yes high impedance speaker winding's, its old technology, I was talking of manufactures advancing this type of speaker technologically to see if the designs could be improved on for sound and be made more durable like alot of modern speakers seem to be. i didnt meant it was new,

if any one knows people who are producing OTL equiptment, please link would love to see what they are building.

edit, sorry was talking about tube otl.

Last edited:
Fixing the lead vocal track on one pop tune can take a really good PT operators 8-hours of work for a 3-minute song. Most artists can't afford that much PT operator work to make a great pop recording, so Autotune gets set to 'auto' mode instead.
would love someone to run 'who killed bambi' by 'the sex pistols' through an auto tune and see what comes out the other end..... wonder if anyones tried it

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes please Pano, I tried to google but couldn't find it.
Seems like it most be a local South Florida story, since it happened at the Breakers in Palm Beach.

Short version. During the bride and groom dance at the reception the soundman is wondering the floor mixing on his iPad. Bass player accidentally engages 20dB pad. Soundman starts boosting gain on bass, trying to make up for it. Bass players notices 20 dB pad and turns it off. Giant WOOMP! The hurricane proof windows of the ballroom almost blew out. System goes nuts. Soundman can't find his faders on the iPad to shut things down. Fumble, fumble, fumble. Wedding planner yelling in his face. At a 3 million dollar wedding. During the bride and groom dance.

At least if you're at the console you can quickly shut down the mains or whatever. No fumbling thru pages on a tablet.

yes high impedance speaker winding's, its old technology, I was talking of manufactures advancing this type of speaker technologically to see if the designs could be improved on for sound and be made more durable like alot of modern speakers seem to be. i didnt meant it was new,
impedance of “voice coil” is only one of numerous factors to be juggled in the design / compromises of an audio transducer.

if any one knows people who are producing OTL equiptment, please link would love to see what they are building.

edit, sorry was talking about tube otl.

While I’ve never actually heard any, the first two names that come to mind are Atma-Sphere and Transcendent, no doubt Google can find many more.

Of course in an ideal world each link in the chain of an audio system would be immune to interactions with /agnostic to the design topology / characteristics of all other system components - including the room. :D

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
To get back on topic:

Attachments

• ParR-Chart.gif
    ParR-Chart.gif
    73.8 KB · Views: 117

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Figuring wire resistance on ordinary slide-rule. Perhaps quicker than opening a web-broswer, Giigling for an online Wire-Calc and working the boxes.

I admit I am having trouble following the instructions. My rule's scales may be laid-out differently.

Attachments

• WireRes-SlideRule.gif
    WireRes-SlideRule.gif
    38.5 KB · Views: 83
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.