Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Are the Chinese going to take over ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 15th April 2019, 07:18 AM   #91
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
I wish I would, get the Apple CEO position, then take the opportunity and shut it down. Did I mention I hate them?
Difficult customer, but everyone loves the volumes.

Old 15th April 2019, 08:40 AM   #92
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

haven't chinese done it already?

Old 15th April 2019, 09:28 AM   #93
awkwardbydesign is offline awkwardbydesign  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
I know many in the US do not see Japanese motorcycles as real motorcycles but that aside.
Many motorcyclists don't see US motorcycles as real motorcycles! (I have one Japanese and one Italian)

Old 15th April 2019, 12:38 PM   #94
Tubelab_com is online now Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
5.1 surround sound system that I remember we were selling for $500. The buy in price for that one was $6/unit.
Nobody can make a usable 5.1 HT system for $6, so that had to be an unusual case. There are some exceptions, but it is usually a case of "dumping" or an overstock or outdated model being liquidated.

I can think of a product line where the company owns a 90% share of the market in the US and better than 50% worldwide, and the ASP is about 10X the rolled product cost. It isn't made in China, but isn't made in the US either. It's been in production since the 60's in different forms, and still is, so I can't get much deeper into the details. A huge sales and engineering staff is required to support it all though.

Old 15th April 2019, 12:48 PM   #95
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
Many motorcyclists don't see US motorcycles as real motorcycles! (I have one Japanese and one Italian)
Why it doesn't matter if a Harley-Davidson is "Made in America" - CBS News
Harleys sold in the U.S. are indeed assembled in one of four plants located in Wisconsin, Missouri and Pennsylvania. But the brakes and clutch are imported from Italy, the engine pistons are made in Austria, the bike suspension comes from Japan, and other electronic components originate in Mexico and China.

Old 15th April 2019, 01:56 PM   #96
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
Nobody can make a usable 5.1 HT system for $6, so that had to be an unusual case. There are some exceptions, but it is usually a case of "dumping" or an overstock or outdated model being liquidated.
The product line could quite possibly have been acquired through a liquidation but huge retail markups were common particularly for the high-bling items such as CD mixing desks, laser light shows etc.

And it wasn't a particularly good system - blow mould plastic satellite speakers with the cheapest, nastiest speaker (although I still have some as my workshop sacrificial speakers).

Quote:
But the brakes and clutch are imported from Italy, the engine pistons are made in Austria, the bike suspension comes from Japan, and other electronic components originate in Mexico and China.
Over this side of the world, certain items that claim to be 'product of australia' now start to carry a label to denote the proportion of imported ingredients versus nationally sourced.

Just today the wife pointed out a box of dumplings that (in big bold type) are 'proudly Australian owned, family made, traditional Australian recipe' etc..and in tiny writing on the back: Product of Vietnam
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Pre, SHPA, B1 Korg. : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W, Filmosound 601. : Apex AX-14, TGM-10, TDA7265, LM4780 (Last in line)...maybe

Old 15th April 2019, 05:08 PM   #97
kevinahcc20 is offline kevinahcc20  United States
diyAudio Member

The dynamics of the global economy and the cycling of leading economies in it through the centuries is a complex game. Prior to the last half century or so the historical basis of dominant economy succession was usually catalyzed by a major power war. Now that those are (hopefully) off the table since Oppenheimer and Teller raised the stakes, we are in unexplored territory. A key element for winning the prize is a large and hungry workforce. The reality is that with success the hunger eventually subsides. It's tough to stay on top forever!

Oh and profit margins are in no way limited to 100%...a buddy recently bought a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15 year for $800. The cost of production was somewhere under $50. ($800-$50)/$50 is about 1500%. Of course that margin was taken in several bites.

Old 15th April 2019, 05:43 PM   #98
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The Moderation Team feel that this topic has now run its course and consequently the thread is now closed.

Closed Thread

Are the Chinese going to take over ?Hide this!Advertise here!