First ever black hole image

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This figure doesn't mean much. 0.26% lines of code, man hours ?
Not all pieces of a software are equal.
I have personnally designed the inner kernel code of a software network that could be said 0.0001% of a project that made the difference to success from failure as it was heading to.
Wacky real time softwares still go on, running between reboots on super over sized prossessing resources.

^ I was going to write the same thing. Especially if the algorithm was entirely hers and she spent a substantial amount of time quarterbacking the development of other bits of code, while "being in charge" of the critical path. Plus who knows how much open source code was borrowed. I'd predict with total confidence that the GUI portion of the software suite was much longer than the critical path.

Any sort of line count contribution is to suggest that all code is the same, which only makes sense to people who have zero idea how to program.

Edit to add: I find the sexism around this issue particularly disgusting, namely, we've had the exact opposite being done (male program leaders taking all the credit) and that has not raised anywhere near the controversy this did. Mod's feel free to nix this if it migrated too political/social commentary.

Last edited:
When we were doing research into OCR (back when a 286 was bleeding edge) one tint section of code rewritten in assembler meant something like a 10x increase in speed. The comments about the importance of some small bit of code can be very significant. dave

That Katie Bouman wrote an algorithm enabling a highly complex calculating engine to extract very faint yet significant information from a massive amount of insignificant but incredibly loud information - and - along the correct signal path, is a true landmark lifetime achievement.

I have worked alongside coders. Only a few are capable of original conceptual programming. Trust me, this woman has an incredible future ahead of her.

ToS

For huge capacity, is the mag tape reel dead ?

Interestingly enough, no it is not. Magnetic storage is still used for cold storage in many datacenters.

Techquickie Video

On a separate note, given that they used several telescopes across Earth to increase resolution, allowing them to resolve a black hole with an apparent size on the order of hundredths of arc seconds, what could we see with telescopes in Earth's Lagrange points? The Event Horizon Telescope has an effective size of Earth (~12700km), imagine the resolution we could get from one the size of Earth's orbit! (300 million km diameter!) :eek:

Context:
754_990528.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.