737 Max

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Have you looked at a map? When we drive to see the relatives 1 province over we drive 1000km. Is all of norway even that large. When goods from china hit the coast some need to be shipped 5000km! Its quicker for me in Vancouver to fly to London then our east coast, even in a Max.Have you looked at average temps. Norway in winter average temp is +2 celsius, there surounded by water. Couldnt find exact numbers but even slightly north of the 49th parallel I would bet the temps are colder. Calgary, Nov to march averages about -10 celsius.

Reminds of that movie ‘The Revenant’

Awesome scenery but yes, a bit cold.

I wonder if DIY audio will get closer to the truth than the media over this? These things are complex and companies never screw up for pleasure.

A friend asked me why all the nonsense in the world today. I said it is a religion vacuum being filled. They feel something bigger than them is controling their lives and they have upset it. Hence without any realistic plan we are going to be virtuous. As I said to him being vegan and electric aircraft won't do it. What shocks me is the maths controlling this are not complex. For example , how much energy can a battery hold , how much does it weigh , how far can that aircraft fly. If you use cars of a similar type how will you find enough electrical power, I would say aircraft are a special case. Zero emissions might not reverse what's happening. I would almost guarantee that. However if done with sensible financial planning why not try?

Do you remember being at school and doing the other kids maths homework? Did it ever occure to you that at age eight it had overtaken them? Guess what, they run the world now. If asking they did do my French and English homework.

Perhaps capitalism will not survive this and the stranglehold of state interference will have the victory it has always wanted. Boeing might be a victim of not having the same commitment from the federation of states as Airbus from it's federation of countries. The UK leaving that church right now.

737 max coming from a less supportive family didn't dare go to market later. Rushed homework.

SA-8 has several radars, for target acquisition, target tracking and missile uplink.
Some versions also have SSR (IFF Identification Friend-Foe). There are no versions with visual or IR acquisition.
- SA-8 (9K33 Osa) isn't a big secret now, so I think I can say that it definitely has television-telescope visual pointing system. It is something like TV-camera with several times zoom.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/rus...data_sheet_specifications_information_uk.html
Someone has to update that web page, they forgot to mention Iraq as another customer.

One of humans bad inventions, so we can kill each other. Think about what the fool did to the airliner, lock on the jet, using his television-telescope visual pointing system. Also using the several radars, for target acquisition, target tracking and missile uplink.
WTF, it could not figure out what the heck it was looking at? and shoot two missiles at the poor helpless people, absolutely reckless and immoral.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You always fire two missiles when the target is close. The SSKP* of those things isn't too hot.
Especially since it is Command Guidance. (Semi) active homing does much better in that respect, but still you'd fire ripple-2 at close range.
What the Police would call double-tap ;-)

Jan

*Single Shot Kill Probablility

Last edited:
It could not calculate the targets speed? determine what is was, where it was?
processing, damn that target is big & slow, going in that direction and coord
should I fire one or two?
is there a need to launch two?
if I miss it isn't going that fast, I could hit it again before it got out of range or in danger
How many line of AI code ?
= absolutely reckless and immoral. Is not eye for an eye law in Iraq?

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It could not calculate the targets speed? determine what is was?
processing, damn that target is slow,
should I fire one or two?
is there a need to launch two?
if I miss it isn't going that fast, I could hit it again before it got out of range or in danger
How many line of code ?
= absolutely reckless and immoral.

Unless the operator was just yanked off the street to fill an empty seat, all of that is done. This is not the first time such battles are fought. You or the computer does indeed compute all of that and gives you a recommendation. Then you determine what to do. In case of slightest doubt, double-tap. Or triple. Two $500k missiles for a $50M jet is a good deal.

It is a fight between a pilot who knows what he is up against and an operator who tries to second-guess the pilot. In that sense, there is nothing immoral in shooting down what you sincerely believe is an attacking jet with full bomb racks.

Jan

Unless the operator was just yanked off the street to fill an empty seat, all of that is done.
Like driving a car without a license or a clue?
Two $500k missiles for a $50M jet is a good deal.
Iraq reasoning, use them up or they will expire anyways.
Military reasoning mentality, it can be reckless, as DT says, people can get hurt.
there is nothing immoral in shooting down what you sincerely believe is an attacking jet with full bomb racks.
Iraq logic

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Like driving a car without a license or a clue?

Iraq reasoning, use them up or they will expire anyways.
Military reasoning mentality, it can be reckless, as DT says, people can get hurt.

Iraq logic

Sorry Rick, I don't agree with any of that. I understand you are angry and/or sad, but this has NOTHING to do with Iraq. It's all plain logical choices.

That what you call military reasoning mentality is plain logic. Isn't it a good choice to expend two $500k missiles to stop an enemy $50M jet from bombing the bejezus out of you??

Don't make the mistake that in hindsight you should have done something else. You can't use that argument.

You may take the position that war itself is immoral. That's a valid position.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The SA-8 is command-guidance. That means that it is directed toward the target by ground-based equipment. Typically you have a dedicated missile tracking radar and a target tracking radar whose data are compared in a computer and missile guidance corrected as necessary.
The advantage is that you'd have a relatively simple missile, but the larger the range becomes, the larger the error becomes.
That is why you see this only with low range close-in defense.

For larger ranges you'd have (semi)active homing where the missile has its own nose-cone tracking radar and homes on a target that is 'lit' by a ground based target tracking radar. Missile gets more complicated (and expensive) but accuracy does not suffer with range.
Of course the missile wouldn't just fly to the target, it continuously calculates an intercept point and flies there.

If you go to later systems like the US Patriot (but other countries have similar) you use TVM, track via missile, where the missile acts as (airborne) target tracking radar and does it all by itself. It still send target and its own data downlink for coordination of multiple engagements. You don't want all missiles to fly to the same target and other get through.
Its complicated, but in multiple engagement situations, each target is 'lit' periodically with a different code modulation so both the missile and ground control know which target they are talking about.
But then you start to get in the $5M price range per missile.

Another story I'll explain later is how they modified Patriot to counter Saddams' Scuds at 6000km/hr. And no, it did not involve replacing the capacitors with Black Gates ;-)

Jan

The latest 777 was to fly today. 400 seats approximately. Due to weather postponed. This aircraft may end all the four engine aircraft like Airbus A380 and 747. The 777 has an excellent safety record. I love flying in the existing ones and 787. They share flight deck layout and working. I doubt Boeing will be allowed to fail if only for this aircraft.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Another story I'll explain later is how they modified Patriot to counter Saddams' Scuds at 6000km/hr. And no, it did not involve replacing the capacitors with Black Gates ;-)

Jan

The problem with high speed targets is that very small corrections require extreme G-forces. The Patriot does 30G which on a video looks like a right angle corner at Mach 2+.
But when your target is a Scud doing Mach 6, that's still not enough for an acceptable SSKP.
What they did was pack a belt of small rocket squibs around the missile body. By firing one of these squibs you can give the missile a lateral displacement and literally shove it into the path of the target. A mod requiring significant hardware and software mods, that was developed, prototyped, build, tested and fielded in a matter of weeks.
If a lot is at stake, anything can be done.

Like the little tinkerer who heard about coalition tanks and trucks being killed by own planes because they were hard to identify in dusty desert environments. He developed a small IR flasher that could be coded, and could be placed on any vehicle, and small detector on a plane. The Army checked it out and then ordered so many sets that he almost fainted.
But worked flawlessly.

Jan