737 Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Can't find a decent hires pic but here YouTube is a look around an A380 cockpit which is one of the newest clean sheet designs. As you can see even with 10 LCD panels there are still virtual dials on there.

Attached is 787 as well, still virtual dials but looks thought out to the uninitiated and has HUDs as well. Handy for the ex military pilots :). Still virtual dials

Attachments

• Boeing_787-8_N787BA_cockpit.jpg
    Boeing_787-8_N787BA_cockpit.jpg
    691.9 KB · Views: 250

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I assume newer planes have rather more logical control and display setups, if they are certified from a clean sheet as it were?

Yes.

In the case of the 737NG cockpit above (the top photo) it was the airline that choose to have that symbology, most likely at the behest of the regulatory authority, in order to make the brand new aircraft integrate smoothly and seamlessly into a fleet that had 20-odd year old aircraft as well.

That same cockpit can have a software change and display as the modern symbology.

Well. Boeing has made some test flights and simulations and thinks it's fine now. Just needs the FAA to do a cert flight, tick a box and they are back in business. Sounds simple...what could possibly go wrong?

OMG. How similar does this sound to the original certification process?

There is what Boeing wants to happen now and there is what ought to happen now.

Instead, how about 3 independent test labs from different parts of the world spend the next 6 months scrutinizing the hardware and software system, both design and implementation, in meticulous detail trying to make it fail? Offer a financial reward for every failure mode they find (which Boeing can sponsor).

Last edited:
And we also need to see proof of adequate procedural and supervisory changes in Boeing's quality systems. The corruption of aircraft safety standards caused by overly-powerful business objectives has revealed a deadly structural flaw in Boeing itself which must not go unfixed or the same thing will happen again for sure.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
FFS.... That article is depressing. Staring with really sh*te web design that just makes it hard to read, it then mixes facts speculation and nonsense, so the facts in there are lost in the mire... It's tabloid journalism at it's worst, really not what the BBC should be doing. The only upside is the layout is so carp that it makes reading it a pain and will put most people off. </rant> :)

Ah! iShiny, yes ofcourse.
Completely missed the mark.

The first thing that I noticed when the iPod (those mp3 players) came out was that the "i" wave had reached the bathrooms, there's a brand manufacturer in Sweden, that bears the name "ido", put a space between the "i" and "do" and the actual meaning of those two words in my language is: in toilet.
So for me, it's iDo, not iShiny.
Toaletter - IDO badrum

I think it's much more fitting. They're both going for that glossy white sleek look.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ah! iShiny, yes ofcourse.
Completely missed the mark.

The first thing that I noticed when the iPod (those mp3 players) came out was that the "i" wave had reached the bathrooms, there's a brand manufacturer in Sweden, that bears the name "ido", put a space between the "i" and "do" and the actual meaning of those two words in my language is: in toilet.
So for me, it's iDo, not iShiny.
Toaletter - IDO badrum

I think it's much more fitting. They're both going for that glossy white sleek look.

This should be renamed iDump . ;-)

Jan

Not to threadjack, but when iPods were just out and hot, there was a yound man at the TV station I worked at that was really hot to buy one. I tried explaining it was just an mp3 player and that he could get one as good and a lot less restrictive for a lot cheaper.... Oh No! Had to have the iPod. I guess image is everything to some people.
Doc

(Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...)

Status
Not open for further replies.