737 Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
The JT-8 or 9 series engines on the 737-200 in India started going out of service as the sole domestic airline at that time phased it out in favour of A-300 for high traffic routes, and A320 for less dense routes.
A300 came in 1976, A320 in 1986 IIRC.

I have been on those 737s, and have lived near Palam (Delhi), and Begumpet (Hyderabad) airports.
You could hear the plane thump down, and in seconds the engines would spool up in reverse thrust, which would whine down as the plane reached the end of the landing run.
Both runways were long enough...for much bigger aircraft like 747 and Ilyushin-76.
Palam was 2800 meters (922 ft) or so, and Begumpet is 3231 meters (10600 feet) long.

On the Airbus planes, the pilots would glide in at what seemed just above stall speed, and apply a much more gentle reverse thrust after about half the runway was used up, and the brakes were used at about taxi speeds at the end of touchdown run.

They both have a lot more flaps and so on fitted on the wings, so those would be used as air brakes after landing, or just after the perimeter was crossed, slowing the plane down...maybe that was the reason they did not need so much reverse thrust.

And in 2019, I flew to Hyderabad and back, Indigo Airlines, and the pilot practically kissed the runway on landing at Hyderabad, no thump at all...A320 I think.

I am not a pilot, but as an engineer I always appreciate it if machines are used and not abused.

Last edited:
Agreed.
The point was that the 737 has its own issues, and the A320 now sells more than the 737.
As for the need of reverse thrust, maybe the 737-300 onwards the wings have seen changes. Maybe they do not so much need reverse thrust on landing.
I live about 7 km from the airport here, and it has maybe 6 flights daily. Sound is muffled, it is accross town.

The airline that had a all Boeing fleet, Jet, went bankrupt a few years back, so here at least the Airbus planes are the only ones flying in domestic flights.
And the larger diameter engines made the older planes obsolete due to high fuel costs.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It will take a lot to convince me otherwise that the primary reason Boeing went of the rails was because top management were chasing stock returns/mkt cap and not focusing on the real purpose of all businesses: to profitably serve their chosen markets.

And that explains a lot. Ever since it was decided market cap was the true measure of a companies worth, we've had problems. Right now there is a company that does ~$16 billion a year in sales and makes ~$3.5 billion a year in EBITDA. The 10 year economic cycle of the company, conservatively, is $35 billion but its valued at over half a $ trillion.

A complete disconnect from reality. Boeing is not the first and it certainly won't be the last.

A fella, Richard Godfrey, a British aviation engineer, has pieced together info on the disappearance of Malaysia Air MH370.

"No one had the idea before to combine Inmarsat satellite data, with Boeing performance data, with Oceanographic floating debris drift data, with WSPR net data," he said.

MH370: Could missing Malaysian Airlines plane finally be found? - BBC News

His interest in the project? He was supposed to be on Air France 447 from Rio to Paris.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I hope he is right - to bring closure to this thing and also to spur airlines and manufacturers to ensure planes are always locatable. I find it quite disconcerting that these things can be 'off radar' or not visible to anyone or anything - other than pilot radio contact - when in flight.

Surely a $200 million asset with 300 people on board should be able to be instantly pinpointed independently of a pilot radioing in to say where he is? We've had the technology to be able to do this for decades now.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, it is trivial in how it will be dealt with… when the FAA says you can’t use it (the radar altimeters because of interference), you can‘t, so the carriers (airlines) won’t, and more flights will be delayed/cancelled/postponed/whatever for weather.

The Telecom carriers will happily do nothing in the time being.

The range of 5G signals is supposed to be quite low except for some frequencies.
The signals are on the same frequency bands as used by 2, 3 and 4G, and the only new one is 2.4 GHz, again never used by radar.
With digital radar, they can simply write a modification to the software and filter it.
Also, ever tried getting a cell phone signal at 10,000 feet?
Not with directional antennas, not possible.
Hysteria...anti 5G necklaces have appeared.
Also, read up on hysteria in Victorian times, get a laugh out of it.

Yes there is a lot of information about it, but on an audio forum, a passing reference is enough...

As for 5G, I am out of date, it seems different countries were using different bands and protocols.
But the frequencies were within International Telecommunication Union allocations.
How that interferes with aircraft equipment I cannot understand.

The spectrum was on my data book in 1980, Clark's Tables, which was log tables, and a lot of other information. I believe the original allocations were made in the late 1950s. I could be wrong about the allocation year, but still, you can look it up.
This was before radar altimeters were commonly used in civilian aircraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.