Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

737 Max
737 Max
737 Max Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2019, 03:47 PM   #31
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

737 Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
The Lion Air crash was ultimately blamed on shoddy maintenance by a second rate charter airline which led to a faulty sensor.
At least that was strongly implied if not the official result.

This doesn't really work for Ethiopian as their practices are widely recognized as impeccable.
These airplanes are so new anyway, I can understand there's a strict regime for maintenance and service checks, but I cannot understand a sealed sensor failing after such short time on a modern aircraft. And even if a sensor failed, should it not be possible to manually control the airplane? The pilots where powerless in their attempts to do anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
However I am also disturbed by the strong worded insistence that the recorders must be analyzed in the US. Luckily they went to Paris for analysis.
Yes, maybe one can hope for a relatively unbiased analysis.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 15th March 2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:20 PM   #32
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

737 Max
Geez, that Jackscrew trim systems looks about as mechanically complicated as the levers, cams and push rods on the underside other the Dual record changer I'm overhauling.

Thanks for the pics.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:39 PM   #33
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

737 Max
Hey I have seen jackscrews at work inside the 737's trailing edge flap fairings on Mentour Pilot.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:41 PM   #34
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Geez, that Jackscrew trim systems looks about as mechanically complicated as the levers, cams and push rods on the underside other the Dual record changer I'm overhauling.

Thanks for the pics.
I think its been said that a modern jetliner is 40,000 (or more) parts flying in close formation.
Old 15th March 2019, 07:01 PM   #35
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post

Thanks for the pics.
The mechanics of it are still great for motion control. Archimedes should be proud.

Anyways, as 6L6 said so succinctly, I'm all too familiar with how badly my field is reported so I assume that most things are far far more nuanced and complex than can be distilled down in an article written by someone that's probably not a subject matter expert.
Old 15th March 2019, 07:04 PM   #36
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The problem may run deeper than the MCAS system.

According to Associated Press the two US pilots who reported problems said that the plane went into a steep descent when they switched to autopilot but doing so switches off MCAS.

And according to the Guardian newspaper the flight data recorder of the Ethiopian plane may be damaged to such a degree that it might not yield any useful information.

Meanwhile the Norwegian airline is seeking reimbursement from Boeing for the costs of grounding their Max 8s ie cost of parking the planes plus loss of earnings.

Pilots have reported issues in US with new Boeing jet

Boeing’s 737 Max fleet 'will remain grounded for weeks' | World news | The Guardian
Old 15th March 2019, 07:51 PM   #37
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

737 Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
In this case at this time it's a word being bandied about by the media in an attempt to sound informed and smart about something they know absolutely nothing about.
My wife is a molecular biologist, an expert in a her field, but at parties folks like to get her riled up with their "non-expertise" expertise.
Old 15th March 2019, 08:51 PM   #38
traderbam is offline traderbam  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I think its been said that a modern jetliner is 40,000 (or more) parts flying in close formation.
I like that.
Old 15th March 2019, 08:57 PM   #39
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

737 Max
I think every field suffers the same way from armchair quarterback syndrome. Goodness knows, roofing is no exception. Nice that diyAudio hires only the best expert witnesses for each case. Imagine having two people in the industry in one thread to keep us on the straight and narrow.
Old 15th March 2019, 08:58 PM   #40
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee1 View Post
They may have the same name however they will not be screws.They will be hydraulic with a digibox controlling them.
Oh dear. Another expert.

737 MaxHide this!Advertise here!