Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

737 Max
737 Max
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2019, 01:47 PM   #21
soundchaser001 is offline soundchaser001  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Anyway, the media gets about 90% of anything relating to aircraft just plain wrong. Have you ever seen a news clip on something in your profession? How much of it did they get correct? See what I mean?
Well said!
Old 15th March 2019, 01:51 PM   #22
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

737 Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
As electronics guys, we know squat about aerodynamics at this complexity level.
Not all of us are electronic engineers
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Pre, SHPA, B1 Korg. : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W, Filmosound 601. : Apex AX-14, TGM-10, TDA7265, LM4780 (Last in line)...maybe
Old 15th March 2019, 01:57 PM   #23
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

737 Max
Expect to hear some preliminary info this morning, or at least that's mentioned by Bloomberg radio a few minutes ago. A suggestion that there may have been a mechanical issue with one of the jackscrews.

Notice that the frontal shape of the engines of the 737 MAX compared with the older 737's I am used to flying on.
Old 15th March 2019, 01:59 PM   #24
traderbam is offline traderbam  Europe
diyAudio Member

What is a jackscrew?
Old 15th March 2019, 02:22 PM   #25
Refugee1 is offline Refugee1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I don't fly however I have been told a few stories in my time. The most relevant one was from the 1980s when I used to fix band gear. The band traveled to a gig in a much smaller aircraft on a route that took them across the English channel. On the way back they made a stop on the south coast of England. During there approach the the spring that defaults the yoke to level flight snapped so that the pilot had to man handle it over the cliffs and into the coastal airfield. They managed to get the owner of the aircraft to hire a replacement plane for them to continue. A soccer player was lost a couple of months ago in the English channel in an accident involving a similar small aircraft. Larger planes have something a bit closer to the power steering on a car and later large planes have an electronic system coupled with the hydraulic system controlled by an increasing number of sensors. I would guess that some kind of sensor test will needed as part of the pre-flight check so that protective covers placed over sensors during cleaning of the aircraft do not get forgotten. I once had a problem with a ground based device with a sensor line that mysteriously got blocked up over a period of a couple of hours. It was an insect nest in the end so if that happened in an African country as opposed to the UK where I had the problem the higher temperature would make the insect work faster. Wooden biplanes used to get eaten by termites in Africa and insects have not gone away or stopped causing technical problems. Some kind of sensor check needs to be done on the taxi way especially in a hot climate.
Old 15th March 2019, 02:32 PM   #26
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

737 Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderbam View Post
What is a jackscrew?
In this case at this time it's a word being bandied about by the media in an attempt to sound informed and smart about something they know absolutely nothing about.

(It's a threaded rod that is driven by motors to adjust the angle of incidence on the stabilizer.)
Old 15th March 2019, 02:37 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Were jackscrews something that was used on old planes to adjust the trim to allow for the load distribution of fuel, cargo and fat ladies. A modern plane would not have such a thing.
Old 15th March 2019, 02:38 PM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

737 Max
Yes, they do.
Old 15th March 2019, 02:40 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

They may have the same name however they will not be screws.They will be hydraulic with a digibox controlling them.
Old 15th March 2019, 02:45 PM   #30
diyAudio Moderator

737 Max
LISTEN TO ME VERY CLOSELY...

Yes, essentially ALL modern large aircraft have jackscrews. They are usually electrically driven, but the mechanism itself is a (large) threaded rod connected to the front of the horizontal stabilizer and controls the angle of incidence of the stabilizer.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

737 MaxHide this!Advertise here!