737 Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
you mean like the white cliffs of dover? Or Holland (flat, wet lots of enormous greenhouses). A flight like that spends most of its time climbing and descending. European farming practices are different so the field layouts are different. Dozens of little things.

Pay attention and you see lots of interesting things out of the window when the cloud cover is thin enough.

Last time I took a flight to Europe it was to the med and it took at least 90 minutes to get away from the cloud cover so that the ground could be seen and then it was sparsely populated inland Spain. There was not a lot to be seen on the ground on that flight. Zurich is a destination where the terrain is much more obvious.

Over on pprune.org poster FCeng84 raised the phenomenon of 'elevator blowback' on the 737 a few days ago, this has been picked up on as another important factor :
Very interesting theory.
I was looking at the AoA sensor outputs (Lion Air 610). Curious. There is a positive offset on the red line which increases during taxi. After take-off the changes in red match those of the green sensor but the offset persists.

Attachments

• 5FC670C4-8066-45F6-83DD-F247C71A406B.png
    5FC670C4-8066-45F6-83DD-F247C71A406B.png
    591.2 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
you mean like the white cliffs of dover? Or Holland (flat, wet lots of enormous greenhouses). A flight like that spends most of its time climbing and descending. European farming practices are different so the field layouts are different. Dozens of little things.
Pay attention and you see lots of interesting things out of the window when the cloud cover is thin enough.

Yes, and even in thick cloud at cruise you certainly know where the sun is...
And it would have been very much the wrong place!
I always track flights I'm on with phone gps. I guess no-one was doing that!

Turns out the flight was run by a sub contractor, and the issued the pilot with the previous day's flight plan, when that aircraft had done the EDI route!

You'd think ATC might have noticed though.....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
LOL. I get a window seat whenever possible because I like to look out and see things below. After take-off I seem to the the only person looking out the window. Almost everyone else is napping or absorbed in some electronic stimulation. Many window shades are closed.

absorbed in some electronic stimulation.......It that the right word? I would have thought sedation?

On a recent trip to California I noticed that most of the younger generation was engaged in finger exercises of some sort involving a small machine made of plastic and glass. Some of the older folks were sleeping or reading....some even had real paper in their hands. I spent much of that day reading magazines on my iPAD.

Ditto the return trip. I did hold my phone up to the window so it could acquire a GPS signal. Then I could find out where we were on Google maps. The Grand Canyon is quite obvious from 32,000 feet. The GPS Test app will also tell you the (ground) speed of the aircraft and its altitude.

Years ago on a trip from Tokyo to LAX I could pick out San Fransisco, not for the bridge, but for the Transamerica building.

You'd think ATC might have noticed though.....

The error was that the pilot had been given the wrong flight plan and ATC would have had the same flight plan declared to them by the pilot immediately before clearance to take off. The error would have followed through to ATC. The pilot just took the flight plan he was given and flew the plane just like he would with all other flights ha has done.

LOL. I get a window seat whenever possible because I like to look out and see things below. After take-off I seem to the the only person looking out the window. Almost everyone else is napping or absorbed in some electronic stimulation. Many window shades are closed.

Yes, my experiences exactly. I have always loved looking out the window. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
There used to be a lot of mechanical beauty in there too.

George

That was the part I was commenting on. Some clever engineers back in the 60s considering all they had was slide rules and pipes (and tweed jackets in UK).

I'm not going to post the links as there is some seriously bad journalism going on but I see various reports being posted on results of simulator testing of the AoA sensor error. Nothing I would call credible though.

Yes, my experiences exactly. I have always loved looking out the window. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Looking out the window is great, but I recall flying Newark -> Mumbai a few years ago. As we left Newark the sun was setting. This was mid June so as we neared the Arctic Circle the sun rose, then as we headed south (somewhere around Norway) it set again, then rose again somewhere over Eastern Europe or Iran, I remember looking down on the mountains of Afghanistan (it did not look inviting) then dark again before we got to Mumbai. That was all in 14 hours. Pretty distracting if you are trying to sleep.

Last week I was in a 6-passenger twin engine flying from Grenada to Carriacou and back; I couldn't look out my window (acrophobia), though I was OK to look out the other windows. Too bad, I sort of wanted to take some pix but my hands were too sweaty.

Status
Not open for further replies.