Spooky advertising

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whilst out walking locally I'm regularly asked by drivers who have typed Snowdon into their sat navs where it is, (the Snowdonia National Park office is in Penrhyn) often when I ask them where they have come from it turns out that they've driven past it. I love the fact that people tend to do what they're told, and when they're told it by technology they're even more likely to comply, means there's more room for the rest of us.....

Google maps will frequently show you a long route just to get you driving in the opposite direction, quicker to do a good'ol u-turn or go to the nearest parking lot.
There was a planned traffic diversion for road maintenance where I live, sooooooo many eastern europe lorry drivers mucking about in the woods with crap tires. One day I came home there was one that had his trailer hanging ominously over a 4m deep ditch, and two more that where sideways up a slope, no hope of getting anywhere.
Lots of signs everywhere in 50-150km distance pending on which way you drove,telling them where to go, even with a three digit number they could call if you wanted patient instructions by a human being.
But noooooooo, just had to try the tiny, icy, up and down roads with lots of turns.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well - don't know about (recent*) Eastern Euro trick drivers. But there in the US truck GPS is different. It's supposed to know about low bridges, narrow roads, weight limits and such. At least that's what my truck driving friends tell me.

Funny about those Sat Nav signs. I have not seen any here in the US, as useful as they might be. But of course we would say GPS - not Sat Nav.

Back in '91 we hired two Polish trucks to take gear from Normandy to Leningrad, then to Germany. They seemed to have no problems, despite the lack of Sat Nav.

All true and a reasonable explanation - if it weren't for the specificity of the ads. When the ads show up so closely to talking about the subject, they are related to nothing you've seen before, and there are no related ads, the post hoc reasoning doesn't make much sense.

You just explained why post hoc reasoning seems untrue, but is true. If you can't accept your own human failings, then .........................

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can accept that it happens and is possible - just highly unlikely in these instances. Context makes a difference. The "spooky" ads are too on point and related to things I've never seen - and arrive quickly. If I saw an advert for Spacely's Sprockets then drove by the factory the next day, I'd notice the coincidence and think it either random, or maybe geo targeted. If I saw the ad at home, then flew half way across the country and drove by Spacely - I'd be suspicious.

So why would seeing the product after the advert make me think coincidence but seeing the ad after talking about the product make me think it's from listening? Because the former never happens to me - the latter does.

Sure, I get some geo targeted ads when traveling, but those are obvious. If seeing something you've never seen before, talking about it, then getting an advert within a few hours is just coincidence - why doesn't it happen with other things?

Back in '91 we hired two Polish trucks to take gear from Normandy to Leningrad, then to Germany. They seemed to have no problems, despite the lack of Sat Nav.

I am not generalizing about the people, allthough they do seem to ignore the huge blinking signs then "just gonna take a shortcut". But I am generalizing about the trucks, no winter tires and no tire chains for extra traction when needed.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...seeing the ad after talking about the product make me think it's from listening?...

Non-spooky interpretation: say Gabion just launched a new ad blitz. Your friend saw it, even if unconsciously, and mentioned to you. Next day the blitz hit your browser.

That said, Amazon's Alexa will order you a dollhouse mentioned on TV {link}. When I swore in the woods, my Android looked-up Willie Nelson lyrics, and for months after it favored Willie's videos. (I seem to have this mostly disabled, at least until some "update" overrides my settings. Not really about Willie's dollhouse, but the anxious Android app straining to keep connection out in the woods drained half my battery in a couple hours, and the real job is to call for help.)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Those sort of coincidences are certainly possible, almost certain to happen. However....
When I'm talking about my Mazda Miata (MX5) and calling it my Mazdarati - with a friend in the car and the phone connected via Bluetooth - then I get home and there are Maserati ads all over everywhere for 2 weeks. No Ferrari ads, no Porche nor Lambo. And then they were gone.

And a couple of weeks ago I picked up a black card from the floor. "What's this? Hmmmm. Marriott Onyx. Never heard of that." Turns out a friend had dropped his room key. He explained what it was and we chatted about it. Not an hour later I get adverts for Marriott Onyx. Never seen them before, never saw them again. Coincidence? Maybe. I did find that the mic was on for FB messenger and WhatsApp. There are turned off now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.