Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Spooky advertising
Spooky advertising
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2019, 08:40 PM   #91
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
...seeing the ad after talking about the product make me think it's from listening?...
Non-spooky interpretation: say Gabion just launched a new ad blitz. Your friend saw it, even if unconsciously, and mentioned to you. Next day the blitz hit your browser.

That said, Amazon's Alexa will order you a dollhouse mentioned on TV {link}. When I swore in the woods, my Android looked-up Willie Nelson lyrics, and for months after it favored Willie's videos. (I seem to have this mostly disabled, at least until some "update" overrides my settings. Not really about Willie's dollhouse, but the anxious Android app straining to keep connection out in the woods drained half my battery in a couple hours, and the real job is to call for help.)
Old 17th March 2019, 05:21 AM   #92
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Spooky advertising
Those sort of coincidences are certainly possible, almost certain to happen. However....
When I'm talking about my Mazda Miata (MX5) and calling it my Mazdarati - with a friend in the car and the phone connected via Bluetooth - then I get home and there are Maserati ads all over everywhere for 2 weeks. No Ferrari ads, no Porche nor Lambo. And then they were gone.

And a couple of weeks ago I picked up a black card from the floor. "What's this? Hmmmm. Marriott Onyx. Never heard of that." Turns out a friend had dropped his room key. He explained what it was and we chatted about it. Not an hour later I get adverts for Marriott Onyx. Never seen them before, never saw them again. Coincidence? Maybe. I did find that the mic was on for FB messenger and WhatsApp. There are turned off now.
Old 17th March 2019, 07:27 AM   #93
Soundhappy is offline Soundhappy  France
diyAudio Member

After shopping in supermarket at home browser advertising show me the same and similar products

Old 19th March 2019, 01:34 AM   #94
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I think there is too much emphasis on the Orwell version, The Marching Morons came out two years later in 1951, and is closer to reality imo.

For xxxs sake, turn off the microphone on as many apps as you can!
Old 20th March 2019, 11:41 AM   #95
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Spooky advertising
The problem is that they get turned back on, and you have to be constantly aware of turning them off. I want them on a "rubber band" switch. Or push-to-talk. Once the app is closed, the mic is off.

Spooky advertisingHide this!Advertise here!