Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Breaking / Burning In Tubes - A New Thought
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2019, 01:34 PM   #1
jomac is offline jomac
diyAudio Member

Default Breaking / Burning In Tubes - A New Thought

I have recently purchased a tube amplifier for home stereo listening, and even though I have MUCH experience with guitar tube amplifiers, I wanted to throw something out there for consideration as it relates to breaking in tubes....

I read everywhere about the length of burn-in time required for pre and power tubes, and there seems to be quite a difference between tubes and various manufacturers. Some people state that they have to burn in their tubes for 10 hours before they "settle down" or some other descriptive word or phrase, while others state 100 or more hours being required. This is a real head-scratcher for me because most tubes are essentially using the same materials in their construction. I understand that the mass and surface area of the plates and getters may be different, but I don't think that this would explain the time required to burn in a tube. Sooo....

I have a theory, and I may not be alone in this or even be the first to posit such an idea. I believe that breaking in tubes has more to do with the number of heat cycles the tubes undergo rather than the length of time they are played. The most physical stress that a tube encounters is when it is warming up or cooling down. When a tube is up to temp and doing it's thing, the only thing that is going on is a transfer of electrons. The path that the electrons are taking isn't creating any type of break-in, or is it?

To test this theory, I have a 12AX7 / 12AU7 pre section in my amp. I played music through the amp for many days before the sound "settled in" and I could start to hear that warm rich bass and mid-range. As is common, I wanted an even better silky mid-range and richer bass, so I rolled some new production Mullards into 12AX7 sockets, and nos Brimars into 12AU7 sockets. Instead of going back through 100+ hours of break-in time, I did the following. In addition to my regular listening of 1 to 2 hours per night, I also power cycled my amp with no-load 4 to 6 times per day - - fully heating the tubes each time (approx :15 to :30 minute cycles). I was astonished after 3 or 4 days of doing this (maybe 20 cycles total) at how rich and warm the bass and mid-range became. And, let me tell you that the nos Brimar CV4003's had an over-the-top amount of air in the mid-range when I first heard them and the bass was not very well articulated and controlled, but now they are just WOW!

Literally, within 4 or 5 short listening sessions over the course of a week, plus 15 to 20 power cycles through full heating and cooling, the tubes are producing such a sweet amount of tonality and richness. Here, a month later and 100+ hours of listening, the sound has not changed at all. Maybe it has improved further, but I haven't noticed any other significant changes in sound.

So, what are some additional thoughts on this theory?
Old 9th February 2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Palustris is offline Palustris  United States
diyAudio Member

"Here, a month later and 100+ hours of listening, the sound has not changed at all."

That's an amazing achievement! After 100 hours you are still able to remember exactly how the "tubes" sounded that very first hour.
Old 9th February 2019, 04:49 PM   #3
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomac View Post

So, what are some additional thoughts on this theory?
Have you considered the possibility that it is you that is breaking in? You are much more malleable than a tube.

Jan
Old 9th February 2019, 04:50 PM   #4
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm just going to wait and see what/if DF96 has something to say about this...
Old 9th February 2019, 04:50 PM   #5
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Someone has an over zealous imagination caused by the 'expensive component syndrome'.
Old 9th February 2019, 05:26 PM   #6
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Moved to the Lounge.
Old 9th February 2019, 05:44 PM   #7
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomac View Post
I believe that breaking in tubes has more to do with the number of heat cycles the tubes undergo rather than the length of time they are played. The most physical stress that a tube encounters is when it is warming up or cooling down.
The accumulated stress due to the expansion and contraction of the electrodes may affect the life of the valve, but I'm not aware of any mechanism by which 'power cycling' the valves in the way you suggest would influence the sound of the amplifier.
Old 9th February 2019, 06:00 PM   #8
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I'm normally a sceptic about these things but don't some valves such as the 6C33 when used in OTL "settle down" their DC conditions after a bit of use?

In line with Jan's theory, I believe I'm far more malleable than any circuit:
I have an open plan house, so I fitted ceiling speakers in a couple of rooms for sound "reinforcement". When new, I was disappointed by the sound, but now I find it quite acceptable. I'm sure it was my malleability rather than a change in sound of the class D amps, or the mass produced ceiling speakers.
Old 9th February 2019, 06:15 PM   #9
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaen View Post
I'm normally a sceptic about these things but don't some valves such as the 6C33 when used in OTL "settle down" their DC conditions after a bit of use?
That may well be the case, but jomac's theory is that switching new valves on, then off, six times a day for a period of 15 minutes each time, over 4 days will improve their sound.

The question is, how well does this stand up as a theory and can it be substantiated by experiment?
Old 9th February 2019, 07:10 PM   #10
schiirrn is online now schiirrn  Germany
diyAudio Member

New tubes need a few hours (3-5) for emission to stabilise. If you measure current draw you will see it goes up. This means that the operating point changes. If the amp is designed badly enough that change will be audible.

Breaking / Burning In Tubes - A New ThoughtHide this!Advertise here!