Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Descalers
Descalers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2019, 12:34 PM   #1
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Descalers

More snake oil technology.

Ecocamel UK - Descaler RV Layout

Enjoy.
Old 3rd February 2019, 02:17 PM   #2
martin clark is offline martin clark  Europe
diyAudio Member

Oh, you can get similar at industrial scale, and I've even seen them specified:

HydroMAG Physical Water Conditioning
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:08 PM   #3
gpauk is online now gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Aaargh... Well, a fool and his money are soon parted...
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin
Old 4th February 2019, 06:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I quote here from the website (trust I am not breaking any rules here)

"Right from the initial design concept, Hydrotec realised the significance of important laws of physics, such as Coulombs Law, the Lorentz Force, the Debye Radius and Fleming’s Left Hand rule and the importance that this would have on the effective transfer of magnetic field force in to a conditioning effect in the water. In short Fleming’s Left Hand rule proves that the optimum flow path for water to bisect the lines of magnetic field force is 90°, and that any deviation away from this the effect is reduced and will be zero when the angle of bisection is zero. In addition by optimizing the water flow path, the Lorentz Force (the force generated by the application of a magnetic field to a charged particle) is maximized and thus the conditioning effect obtained by this technique is also maximized. The HydroMAG® is the only physical electromagnetic physical water conditioner available that has ensured that the water flow path bisects the magnetic field at 90° and this is significant in the superior performance of this physical water conditioner."

Maybe JN has a take on this . . .
Old 4th February 2019, 06:26 PM   #5
gpauk is online now gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Wow, well, with all that sciencey stuff, it must be true....
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin
Old 5th February 2019, 05:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I know what my take on it is. But if I speak my mind, it will no doubt be my last post on this forum.
Old 5th February 2019, 08:20 PM   #7
lcsaszar is online now lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Why, is its working principle against the laws of physics? Or the claimed effect does not exist? Limescale is a big problem in many household. I have heard about electromagnetic descalers, but to be honest I don't believe they work, just because their low power (a simple battery powered generator using an 555 timer and a couple of turns over the waterpipe). But a very powerful permanent or electromagnet, why not?
Old 5th February 2019, 08:28 PM   #8
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Most of the annoying stuff in water is NON-magnetic.

Certainly lime.

I may look at it again. I have much "iron" in my water. But even at depth it is probably mostly Oxide (weak or no magnetic). And I have much Manganese, weak or no magnitism. I guess I could throw a dead speaker in a bucket and see what sticks.

A US Army study in the 1980s (a military has huge boilers) showed no result from magnetic "descalers". The standard treatments for boilers and heaters are chemical.
Old 5th February 2019, 08:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I live in Norfolk, UK - the water is very hard and you have to descale your kettle etc regularly. We use a Brita filter for drinking water, coffee, tea etc and anti-calking tablets in the washing machine every few days to keep it under control (although I think the action of the soap does a good job for the most part - as is the case with the dishwasher as well)

The deposits from the water are mostly limescale which as far as I know is non-magnetic.

I am not aware that ferrous material in any significant volumes is present in the water here - I am sure it would have been reported if so.

For these reasons, and invoking the 'importance of physics' and 'Flemings left hand rule' in the manner done by the supplier I quoted above, I think the claims dont stand up to scrutiny. I am being very polite.

Sy is probably reading this and laughing his head off . . .
Old 5th February 2019, 09:33 PM   #10
martin clark is offline martin clark  Europe
diyAudio Member

It is all non-polar molecules, so I agree with your post 6, Bonsai - salted with all sorts of rude words of my own.

Here in Bath (UK) water is also hard, really hard, having spent c.10K yrs soaking through the Mendips* As a friend put it - when thirsty, you turn on the tap and snap-off a stick to suck later...

(*visuals for rest of world: google any picture for 'Cheddar Gorge caves')

PS Bonsai - for 'anti-calking tabs' just use washing soda, sodium carbonate - so cheap in 1Kg+ packs, a teaspoon at a time - simple chemistry makes all sorts of scale go away by the sodium displacing calcium ions, from washing glasses in the sink, to tea scale, to getting lather on soap

Last edited by martin clark; 5th February 2019 at 09:38 PM.

DescalersHide this!Advertise here!