Maplin is back !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like Amazon. No links to components so not really Maplin.

I didn't expect them to come back as they were.
They needed some rationalisation.
They could never compete with the likes of RS Components and Farnell.
My main problem with Maplin was their prices, they could be very expensive.
I looked for a HDMI cable, I think it was about £10.
Got 2 off ebay for £1-50 all in !

Not sure what you mean. The valves reference was a bit of a throwaway, but in the days of its telephone directory- size catalogue Maplin was very diy-friendly and a great intro to electronics. Their commercial heyday was probably 1995-2005, when they employed knowledgeable, helpful staff, with a lot of computer bits sold. After that, things went downhill and their Private Equity owners didn't help. When it went bust, just about the only asset it had was its customer database and trademarks, and this was what was sold off - for a six figure sum, apparently.

Last edited:
I have been a customer of Maplin since about 1980.
Ordering electronic components was very hit and miss in those days.
You had to post off your order sheet with all the quantities and Maplin codes on it.
They would then attempt to fulfil your order which usually came back with a few items missing !
However some of their kits were very good (when the amplifier kit had the correct components in the right places! )
I built their mobile disco with record decks, an amplifier and sound to light unit.
All worked fine.

This is just an online version of a failed shop. The original Maplin was a component supplier, started in Essex by people who understood electronics. Sadly, as it expanded it lost the plot and became a toy seller on every High Street. Its original customers gradually went elsewhere, and it never picked up enough new customers to pay for its expensive shop locations. Ignorant staff didn't help.

To describe a few help sheets as a university just shows how far the idea of 'university' has been degraded over the years.

I may still be on their customer database. I hope they didn't pay too much for my details, because they are unlikely to make much money out of me.

In the last few years of Maplin the shop was often very quiet.
Three or four staff on and just me browsing.
The building was huge so must have cost a fortune for rent and utilities.
Add to that the high cost of items and its no wonder it failed.
The staff were a mix of god and bad.
I heard one staff say to another about me that I came in often but bought very little !
I mostly bought online as the shop usually held just one or two of each electronic component. It was fine for a one off but not a full order.
Since 1980 I must have spent thousands in Maplin so I complained to head office about the staff member.

It would be unfair to blame the shop floor staff at Maplin for all the ills of the company. Many of the staff in my local Maplin stores were knowledgeable, but frustrated and constrained be the marketing decisions made by 'Head Office'.

On the other hand, the staff frequently had to put up with 'customers' who simply regarded Maplin as a 'fix it' centre which they expected to solve incompatibility problems with items of equipment they'd purchased elsewhere.

I know of cases where Maplin staff were verbally abused after telling customers that their new gadget (purchased elsewhere) could not be connected to their old gizmo. The knowledgeable staff were told in no uncertain terms by the technically unsavvy customers that they did not know what they were talking about!

It would be unfair to blame the shop floor staff at Maplin for all the ills of the company.

I didn't blame Maplin staff for all its ills, a lot was down to bad management.

The Carlisle branch staff were generally ok except for a couple of the staff.
One complained I wasn't buying enough !
Another completely ignored me when I went in and said hello as they passed.
I guess in any sample of people you will get a bad apple or two.

"Let it go, let it go. . . Here I stand and here I'll stay"

Don't be 'Frozen' out Nigel!

YouTube

Tandy was the name given to Radio Shack stores in the UK as we didn't talk about 'radio shacks' over here.

I have fond memories of visits to Tandy stores around the time of the TRS-80 computer and I still own and use several of their 'Realistic' label products.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.