Ugly black boxes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw a Rogers HG88 MKIII valve amplifier in the London Design Centre 50 years ago. It looked so good to me that I just had to buy one when I returned home.

I think its design has stood the test of time well, combining a split silver/black aluminium fascia with a teak (formica) sleeve.

Attachments

• Rogers HG88 MKIII.jpg
    Rogers HG88 MKIII.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Design Centre label.jpg
    Design Centre label.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 188
My local hifi shops are not like that. Perhaps visiting next town's hifi shop would help, I guess?

For decades I've heard that "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." I'll have to agree with that because a guy I know thinks a woman he saw at a coffee shop is hot but then when I turned around to see who he was talking about, I was like, "Hot? Are you serious? :boggled:"
I thought the old saying was, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder".

I just checked richer sounds and there are a number of lines available in black or silver. Champagne gold is out of fashion it would seem.

It's been a while since I visited my local RS outlet - I didn't know they were still in business!

I like black boxes. They remind me of the excellent Watkins Johnson surveillance equipment I used to collect.

They look pretty interesting though!

What's wrong with plain black boxes?
In the same vein what's wrong with huge banks of flashing LED lights?
I had a choice a few decades ago to get my Rotel amps in black or polished silver..

That's what is missing now in mainstream retail shops, though - choice.

Even plain boxes with banks of flashing LEDs would be good if properly done!

Many audiophiles believe that mains and speaker cables have an effect on how an amplifier sounds. Is it possible that the shape, material and colour of an amplifier cabinet could also have a similar effect?

Yes. As long as the case colour complemented the oil-filled audio-grade caps.. :rofl:

The inner Engineer in me likes 19" rack mount and modular so to be the best looking preamp ever is this one. I accept SWMBO will never accept this view!

This engineer likes that one too! Probably low in WAF factor though..

Now there is this guy.. Nelson something? he makes pretty looking amps... ;) probably not available in any of my local shops though..

Attachments

• amps.JPG
    amps.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 171
I saw a Rogers HG88 MKIII valve amplifier in the London Design Centre 50 years ago. It looked so good to me that I just had to buy one when I returned home.

I think its design has stood the test of time well, combining a split silver/black aluminium fascia with a teak (formica) sleeve.

Must say that I'm undecided if it's a horse designed by a camel, or a camel designed by a horse. Maybe it's the faux teak Formica wraparound. Perhaps it needs to sit between a bowl of fruit and a vase of flowers, with some small porcelain figurines dancing round the air vent. Ahhhhh, the 70's.

As you can tell, I really quite like it. ToS

Here's its little brother the Cadet III along with matching switched FM tuner. Note the rather stylish vase! :)

Uhmmm........looks like a piece of Murano glassware to me - another fab classic 70's item. Same with the hessian speaker covers. And the pine clad interior .... oh, and the lovely one piece woolen dress worn with a smile (originally woven in Sheffield). I could go on ........ I love 70's product advertising.

Now tell us Galu, and it is important (if only because I say so) is the wooden case of your amp genuine teak? Or is it a genuine Formica facade made with a mock teak finish? Because if it's genuine Formica, it could be really valuable. :) Tos

Hmmmmm. We'd still have factories, we'd still be making stuff ourselves, and it would be about 10% percent more expensive, but with better quality control.

Phones are much cheaper though. I got myself one of those Ulefone Power 5 to have for work, it's got 64GB storage, 6GB ram, wireless Qi charging, a Helios P23 cpu which is value for money, and a whoopin' 13000mah battery! Can use it for days!
I do not care much for the UI, but it was much improved using the Poco Launcher from Xiaomi.
Was really tempted to get the Poco phone from Xiaomi, but I got the Ulefone Armor 5 instead, cheaper and IP68 graded, also with wireless Qi charging which is nice to have because I got that in my car... No wires is great!

I was always fascinated by the tube radios of the late 40s and 50s, those sleek tabletop ones with the art deco styling, wood cased with aluminum panels, some chrome and bakelite knobs and buttons..somewhere between art, furniture and function that people must have proudly displayed in their parlour.

Back to the original question: because it's cheap to cast black plastic fronts and the price must be low. Also, the design is then not so important as it's not really visible. And like a lot said, most people want it small and that it dissappears in the decor.

It' way more expensive to do it in Aluminium, as the basic material is more expensive and machining it also. And a bad design is worse than when it's black. Other materials are mostly even more expensive to use.

I think the sound is more important than the looks. But it surely could be better than it is now, and that does not have to cost a lot. I actually like the old industrial look of the 1950's with simple metal fronts with some buttoms and dialers on it and a VU meter. Modern hi end is too much bling bling for me. One of the best designs that i know are those of old 1964 Sansui AU-111 amp.

Attachments

• aux111-a[1].jpg
    aux111-a[1].jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 103
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.