Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Ugly black boxes
Ugly black boxes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2019, 09:45 PM   #21
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

Ugly black boxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Dunno. Having discussed the 'look' for the stereo SWMBO has decreed that I can build whatever I want as long as it's in black boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
In my house, black is de rigueur for all audio equipment. This is down to my wife who doesn't really want to see the stuff!
Maybe the black nondescript boxes have the lowest 'noticeability' and therefore the highest WAF. Or maybe silver or gloss white are just not in vogue at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
It used to be that HiFi manufacturers had a consistent "house" design that was recognizable. In the 1970's you could spot a Marantz or H/K or Pioneer or Yamaha or Sansui amp/receiver from across the room, they were distinctive. Many of them were also silver rather than black, but they had design cues that made one brand visually distinguishable from the others. These days there seems to be less of that.
I remember when there were different designs but now it all seems to have morphed into everything looking the same. Obviously how an amp sounds and performs is more important than how it looks, but how much more would powder coat silver cost over powder coat black in the scheme of things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret View Post
I recently started looking around at options to "dress up" the cases I'll be building some pre-amps, control electronics etc. into. I am specifically looking at using bamboo sheets to use as front and side cladding,
I'd be really interested to see the results of your work. The idea of a 'japanese style' case actually sounds quite appealing!
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Preamp | SHPA | : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W | Filmosound 601 | : Apex AX-14 | TGM-10 | TDA7265 | LM4780 (Last in line)...maybe
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:00 PM   #22
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ugly black boxes
I just checked richer sounds and there are a number of lines available in black or silver. Champagne gold is out of fashion it would seem. Speakers of course available in all sorts still.
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:06 PM   #23
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I'd like a black panel with chrome knobs (preferably 4) slid into a nice teak sleeve please.
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:43 PM   #24
HollowState is offline HollowState  United States
diyAudio Member

I like black boxes. They remind me of the excellent Watkins Johnson surveillance equipment I used to collect. I still own units like most of the older types below. And WJ is still alive and well. Unfortunately only the Government can afford their current stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watkins-Johnson-WJ-9026A.jpg (300.5 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg wj_8730a.jpg (188.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg WJ-8617B-26.jpg (36.5 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg WJ.jpg (56.5 KB, 170 views)
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:20 PM   #25
speakeasypete is offline speakeasypete  United States
diyAudio Member

How about gloss black front, black aluminum knobs w/polished edges & polished handles on the front. Or Brushed aluminum front, polished knobs, handles optional.These are my favorite looks, they're just not available in the brands we like.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:52 PM   #26
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

What's wrong with plain black boxes?
In the same vein what's wrong with huge banks of flashing LED lights?
I had a choice a few decades ago to get my Rotel amps in black or polished silver, I chose black even tho the silver units were discounted because sales on the silver versions were slow. I want my "Stuff" to disappear and black against a black background is the best way to do that. Now if I had lots and lots of money and wanted to display my wealth and good taste then perhaps statement works of art like Halcro would be worth investing in
Old 23rd January 2019, 01:07 PM   #27
radiosmuck is offline radiosmuck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Many audiophiles believe that mains and speaker cables have an effect on how an amplifier sounds. Is it possible that the shape, material and colour of an amplifier cabinet could also have a similar effect?
Old 23rd January 2019, 02:00 PM   #28
tapestryofsound is offline tapestryofsound  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
Many audiophiles believe that mains and speaker cables have an effect on how an amplifier sounds. Is it possible that the shape, material and colour of an amplifier cabinet could also have a similar effect?
I am sure it does. Not entirely sure if it can heard, or could be measured. Nice if it could. Definitely something to talk about.

Colour seems to have a real affect on the sound of guitar effects pedals, though. I have seen custom built, limited edition boutique style fuzz boxes, (hand painted by toddlers), and they sell for huge sums of money. Guitarists know about these things. Most have really bizarre names, such as 'Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man Deluxe With Hazarai'. I have one myself, and it sounds great. The silk screened psycho 60's paint job is terrible ...... yet strangely absorbing while shoe gazing.

Alright, I confess. I too prefer black boxes, with added Bakelite chicken head knobs if possible. ToS

Last edited by tapestryofsound; 23rd January 2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 23rd January 2019, 02:07 PM   #29
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ugly black boxes
The inner Engineer in me likes 19" rack mount and modular so to be the best looking preamp ever is this one. I accept SWMBO will never accept this view!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cello_audio_suite_modular_preamplifier.jpg (43.1 KB, 150 views)
Old 23rd January 2019, 02:29 PM   #30
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapestryofsound View Post
I too prefer black boxes, with added Bakelite chicken head knobs if possible.
Does that mean you would be happy to plug your guitar into one of these, or is the design a tad too industrial for your liking?
Attached Images
File Type: png The Countess.png (573.5 KB, 99 views)

Ugly black boxesHide this!Advertise here!