Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

New Here and think I want to hear Valve Sound
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2019, 07:23 PM   #1
harleyujoe is offline harleyujoe  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New Here and think I want to hear Valve Sound

At 67 yr old never having tube/valve amp ad thinking I would like to hear one. I have tinnitus so I can not play at very loud db but I still hear using my Marantz 8002 with my 28 yr old Mirage M-5 speakers nice separation . But always heard that Valve amps produce more musical sounds.

So I see reviews and on my you can scratch your head all day..

So do not want to spend lots of money 2k to many 3k . But saw used Cayin 734a and wondered what quality it would be?? See new Decware models and Line magnetic .

Saw review of 519ia and sounded like not a summer Valve Amp. But saw a 516 and 508 models .. But for a newbie and just want to hear a little more than my Marantz to see if my ears can pick out more separation ..thank you Joe
Old 13th January 2019, 08:14 PM   #2
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Valve Sound? What do you mean by that?

The term can be interchangably used to describe a tubed device that is made to be as accuarte as possible OR to indicate a device that has a “vintage” sound. The latter i consider bad (ancillary parts available today are much better and there is no need for the often sloppy sound of vintage gear), the former represents some of the best kit there is.

Execution is always key.

Having experience with Decware, unless you can score one of the old SE EL84 amps, stay away. And even in SE EL84 amps one can fairly easily build an amp that smokes the Decware. I have no experience with the others you mention.

dave
Old 13th January 2019, 08:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Looking for my first Tube Amp for stereo playing
Old 13th January 2019, 08:16 PM   #4
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

You could build a valve pre amp or buffer to see if you like the sound
Old 13th January 2019, 08:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Looking for guidance on purchasing ..I saw a used Cayin 734a locally and wondered how good it would be for starting out or should I by a new one from vendors. And one you would recommend that has approx 15 to 24 watts per channel

Thank You
Old 13th January 2019, 08:35 PM   #6
kodabmx is online now kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have several designs that would fit the bill, but I think shipping from Canada to the USA will be EXPENSIVE!

If you're into kits or can sling a soldering iron, you can make an excellent amp for around 500$.
Old 13th January 2019, 08:56 PM   #7
mashaffer is offline mashaffer  United States
diyAudio Member

Perhaps Wavebourne has something appropriate.
Old 13th January 2019, 09:24 PM   #8
audiopro is offline audiopro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Tube amps can be wonderful, but take a little bit of work. Tubes, particularly output tubes wear out. Replacement will require biasing, and often output tubes need to be checked periodically. Unless you are familiar with, and are willing to take the bottom off (where there are lethal voltages) i recommend you look for an amp that has external bias controls and test points (or bias meter). Or look for an amp that is autobiased or cathode biased.
Cayin gear is generally well made, but dealers and thereby service can be limited. Their stuff new may be within your budget.
Old 14th January 2019, 01:48 AM   #9
mashaffer is offline mashaffer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashaffer View Post
Perhaps Wavebourne has something appropriate.
Sorry... Should be Wavebourn.
Old 14th January 2019, 01:51 AM   #10
Duke58 is offline Duke58  United States
diyAudio Member

Purchase an amp from Decware.

New Here and think I want to hear Valve SoundHide this!Advertise here!