Amp that produces similar shocking experience like LDR preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
the little distortion

well,maybe is that. Same happens with vinyl: the little distortion when we reproduce records is what seems our brain likes about it over CDs (for some of us of course,others like digital better).

You are on which planet? Here on earth our pick up cartridges have generous distortions . Take the prestigious Shure V15 type V , 1.8% 2nd harmonic 0.5% 3rd. IM 3.1% . See Audio magazine Nov 1982 page 65 . Ortophone black measures 3.5% Dtot at normal level . Yes Grado in wooden enclosure is 1%, but hikes gradually to end 17% at 20khz . Is your amplifier dirty because it has 0.1% Dtot , where best loudspeakers have at least 1% if not 10% at 50hz.

Attachments

• shure v15.pdf
    62.1 KB · Views: 39
  • TD w6.JPG
    TD w6.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 150
I've been impressed with my Powersoft amps. Nice combination of lots of DSP, near-endless power reserve, and good sound.
I tried a 4-channel one with some old Mission 760i speakers, biamped. With a 2.5kHz FIR crossover and a bit of EQ, they sounded pretty damn good.

I know they're not strictly HiFi amps, but I've been using them that way and then taking them to gigs to run my PA system.

Chris

It might be helpful to have a bit of context for the application - at the very least the approximate sensitivity of speakers, room size, etc. Those factors will be a big part of the calculus of minimal amount of power for the headroom that most would deem necessary for a “shocking / incredible” system.
If as DF96 alludes it’s the harmonic distortion spectra that attracts you, and power requirements aren’t high, I’d suggest the DIY Audio store ACA. OTOH, for low noise floor and very transparent, dynamic and open soundstage, the Neurochrome LM3886 based Modulus series have quite impressed me recently.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.