What's with all the copyright infringement whining and fuss lately?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Am I the only person that's noticed this a lot more recently? Not sure if it's just the Tubes subforum or what, but it seems there's been a upswing in people posting copyrighted material, it shortly gets nuked by the moderation team, and then folks come out of the woodwork arguing that it shouldn't matter because "it's educational" or "common knowledge", or even that it's "already available" so it doesn't matter.

Listen, I'm not so stuck up that I claim to pay for each individual piece of media or publication that I download. That's irrelevant here. But if the subject being posted explicitly states that it needs to be done so with explicitly given permission from the publisher, then you probably shouldn't post it. Even if the author is fine with it, they may not have the authorisation to post the material publicly without their publishers approval due to contractual or copyright holder issues. The last thing we need is a big legal team bearing down on us.

I've been on too many forums and groups that have gotten pinched over the years due to this stuff. If you need to share such things, do it via PM or off-site communications my man. Let's not ruin a good thing :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.