Language

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would take the 'British' meaning, although perhaps in a few cases slightly modified.

"I hear what you say" means 'I think I understand your argument, but I still want you to do what I ask even though you think it won't work'. If it subsequently all goes wrong, then the usual response is 'Nobody could have predicted this outcome' (no, actually I predicted this outcome) or 'Circumstances changed' (no they didn't).

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
On a continuum of US English understanding through to Brit understanding, I’d probably be more towards the US end though not completely. Where I am originally from, ‘language’ is much, much more literal and a direct insult always seemed to to be the preferred approach rather than some subtle sarcastic dig. It took me a year or two to get my head around it after I arrived in the UK 25 years ago (about 6 years prior to that, I lived in the US for a year).

YouGov survey: British sarcasm 'lost on Americans' - BBC News

I have to say, as someone raised in South Africa, I’d interpret a lot of the sayings like the Americans do.

Knocked up in the Uk means someone knocks on your door early morning to get you out of bed.
Knocked up in USA means make some pregnant !

Fanny bag in USA means a bag that goes around the waist.
Fanny in Uk means a vagina !

So you have to be careful what you are saying in UK and USA.

Yes, it is very easy for someone from US to accidentally use language which is considered rude or crude in the UK and vice versa.

I recall some years ago being on the Northern tube line in London. The announcer said that this train is for Cockfosters, a district in North London. An American lady turned to her husband and said "Honey, did he really just say what I think he said?".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.