note 8-9 camera vs canon sx610hs photo quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.I am experienced in audio but not much at videos/photos.I already have a canon sx610hs for taking product photos for my ebay store.
Do you think it will be an upgrade to buy a samsung galaxy note 8 or 9 over canon sx610hs?
I already have samsung j7 prime and i did not feel a quality difference between canon sx610hs.
And is there any place compares digital cameras vs mobile phone cameras photo quality(only photo quality is important for me,not any other parameters)
Please advise.
Best regards

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The answer to that is going to be it depends ;)

what does it depend on? How you want to use the camera. Smartphones still have a long way to go to catch up to a dedicated compact camera in some respects, but in others they are as good or better.

I haven't used either the note or the canon you have so can only talk theoretically. I would suspect that if you are primarily taking close up shots in controlled lighting conditions you will get great photos with either the canon or the Note.

The one area the canon may give you an advantage is if you are wanting to shoot with good blurred backgrounds, shooting at some level of zoom and wide apeture should give better results that what are available with a smart phone.

For the image sizes that are typically used on ebay stores you are unlikely to see the difference between your small cannon and even an expensive DSLR, the main thing that will make a difference is lighting and technique :). I just had a quick look at your ebay store and it seems you use flash a lot. A small light tent may be your best purchase :)

If you use the camera for anything else, the 20 X optical zoom of the canon will allow you to take photos that you would never be able to take with the 2X optical zoom of the Note.

This site has reviews of both the note9 and your cannon. Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Review | Photography Blog I don't know of any site that does direct comparisons between phone cameras and compacts though.

Tony.

Last edited:
Hi.Thank you for your answer.Flash sometimes gives good results but sometimes bad.I have already bought 2 tents.One of them small and other is big.But i am not sure their lightining is good enough(big one 50x50x50cm has a low level light,2 350lümens spotlights,i want to improve it).
Here is one sample i used small tent.It has 2 led arrays on top.
4pcs ROE ROEDERSTEIN 4.7uF / 63v 105C Axial Caps FOR AUDIO! | eBay
Do you think this photo is good enough or any improvement can be made?If yes how can i do?Thanks and regards

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'd probably change the background to a flat colour, not patterned. That will help with jpeg compression, allowing a small image without such aggressive jpeg compression. The lighting seems fine in that image (to me) but I'm viewing on my laptop which doesn't have the best screen.

Are the led arrays outside of the tent or inside it? If you have access to direct sunlight putting the light tent in the sun and shooting may give you better diffuse light. The main thing with not enough light will be your camera will likely use a higher ISO which in turn gives less detail.

The other option is to use a tripod and some of the more manual controls in your camera, to set a low ISO and let the camera take a photo with a slower shutter speed. With the little cannon, some experimenting with the aperture may also give better results. I suspect it is defaulting to highish ISO and large apeture if being used in auto mode. (you've scrubbed the exif data, so I'm guessing here) If you can set ISO to say 100 and apeture somewhere in the middle of it's range (I imagine you have an aperture priority mode) you may get better results.

Tony.

I'd probably change the background to a flat colour, not patterned. That will help with jpeg compression, allowing a small image without such aggressive jpeg compression. The lighting seems fine in that image (to me) but I'm viewing on my laptop which doesn't have the best screen.

Are the led arrays outside of the tent or inside it? If you have access to direct sunlight putting the light tent in the sun and shooting may give you better diffuse light. The main thing with not enough light will be your camera will likely use a higher ISO which in turn gives less detail.

The other option is to use a tripod and some of the more manual controls in your camera, to set a low ISO and let the camera take a photo with a slower shutter speed. With the little cannon, some experimenting with the aperture may also give better results. I suspect it is defaulting to highish ISO and large apeture if being used in auto mode. (you've scrubbed the exif data, so I'm guessing here) If you can set ISO to say 100 and apeture somewhere in the middle of it's range (I imagine you have an aperture priority mode) you may get better results.

Tony.

Hi.Little tent has led arrays inside.I do not always have a chance to take photos at sunlight(I already took some of them and yes sunlight is better with clouds in front of them).I will try your other suggestions.Thank you very much.Regards

You don't need good photography to make good sales on eBay. Poor quality photography gives a sole trader seller more street credibility. Buyers are suspicious of slick looking pictures. I reckon you are doing just fine.

Hmm.Yes i agree.May be true for some customers.
Also some buyers want good detailed photos too.Some of people extremely skeptical.
It is impossible to make everyone happy :)
We buy in wholesale so i can give good price ,people always asking it is fake item or not :)
Maybe because of China sellers, people thinks all items are fake on ebay.
As an electronic engineer i never buy and sell fake items.
We directly buy from Germany from trusted distrubutor.

Hmm.Yes i agree. May be true for some customers. Also some buyers want good detailed photos too. Some of people extremely skeptical. It is impossible to make everyone happy :)
We directly buy from Germany from trusted distrubutor.

What will really work for you is to take new photographs each and every time a fresh batch of items comes in from your distributor. Yes, it means more work, but it shows you really care about what you sell. Seriously, and it also means your photography will improve, and customers really pick up on that kind of attention to detail. Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.