Tweeter making a faint hiss with no wires plugged into it?

Its a good idea actually. for example if you play a woofer at a frequancy and have a passive woofer unplugged it does pick up the vibrations, so in reverse it must create a current instead of beng created by a current, so if the woofer resonence matched some big vibration like a reverse bass horn by a volcano, surely that would vibrate the cones and create power. likely ot near enougth worth over rulling current electrical production.. but still. good to play with.

I have a very similar problem...

I have 2 sets of Klipsch speakers (Forte II and Heresy II). I had noticed after I moved them into this side of the room that I have a very faint hiss coming from the mid horn on the Forte II's and from the horn on the Heresy II's. Yah, all 4 have this hiss.

I did some troubleshooting yesterday and when I unhooked the speaker cables from the speakers, they kept hissing. I was like... Huh?

So then I unhooked EVERYTHING. No change
I cut power to that room (most of the panel). No change
I moved one speaker to the back of the room and it went away (moved almost 20 feet)

I also realized that the power meter for our house is bolted to the outside of this room AND the main 240v wires run under this room to the panel in another room. It's a ground floor room on a slab.

I believe that this hiss is coming from the 240v running under this room. I can't move this.

Is there some sort of filter I can put on the power meter? Or have the power company come out and do it?

Yah, it's almost Halloween but that's not it. My house also isn't haunted.

The horn crossover is possibly tuning into radio frequency noise which is eminating from the main 240 V wiring.

1665681013091.png

The first thing to try is to detune the horn crossover.

MASSIVE EDIT! These are not piezo horns, but I do see a 40 ohm; 5W resistor wired in parallel with the tweeter horn on some versions of the crossover.

Last edited:
The power level might be closer to the micro-watt range. Not likely to damage anything.
Placing a small capacitance across the speaker might upset some amplifiers.

Another experiment to try in some cases is see if the problem is less worse when the amplifier is on.
I found a powered down amplifier was worse for me in some cases because it was an effective detector when it had no supply voltage.
I had this problem before I did a house addition and replaced the circuit breaker panel and meter. Found out that the house was not grounded and someone had harvested the ground wire on a pole by the street.
I figure I had just had a whole lot of RF in the house.

The power level might be closer to the micro-watt range. Not likely to damage anything.
Placing a small capacitance across the speaker might upset some amplifiers.

Another experiment to try in some cases is see if the problem is less worse when the amplifier is on.
I found a powered down amplifier was worse for me in some cases because it was an effective detector when it had no supply voltage.
I had this problem before I did a house addition and replaced the circuit breaker panel and meter. Found out that the house was not grounded and someone had harvested the ground wire on a pole by the street.
I figure I had just had a whole lot of RF in the house.
The speakers are unplugged from the amplifier. Nothing plugged into the posts on the speakers. When connected to the amp, the sound is still there. Plus a small hiss from the amp but that's not what this is about. :)

Reactions: 1 user