Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Eyesight thread
Eyesight thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2019, 05:20 PM   #21
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Luck View Post
Well a few weeks on i’m Still putting steroidal drops in my eyes four times a day.
17 days. My doc said 4 weeks or until the bottles were used-up, which was late in the 3rd week, so you will be dropping for another week+. Tiresome, but far less trouble than bad healing or infection.

Quote:
getting a slight fluttering at the edge of my peripheral vision on occasion but it only lasts a few seconds.
Yes. My impression was that the ciliary muscle focus reflex gets annoyed that the plastic lens won't pull-focus like the old organic lens, and throws a fit/spasm. There may be a more expert explanation. It reduces in time.

Quote:
Soldered up the ACA no bother. I did need to get a magnifying glass out to read the microscopic print on the smaller transistors but they’d be a problem for anyone.
Yes. The focusing range of the young eye is impressive; of the aged eye, less. The eye with one/two/range of fixed focus picked for "normal" tasks (driving and reading) will never focus at nose-length (small objects) without added lens. Aside from what you do for reading (1.5X readers good for many), you want 3.5X readers or low-X magnifier for a foot away, stronger glass for the tiny parts.

If you have a 35mm SLR camera in the attic: base lens was 50mm. Hold this back-side near object, look in the front side, infinity-focus eye now focuses 2 inches which is like a "5X magnifier" (or 20X reader!). Even cheap SLR lenses were highly corrected for the several aberrations of glass. Not optimal for a magnifier but far better than many low-price magnifiers in this power range. (Short Enlarger lenses are great too but seem to have vanished from eBay...)

I'm pretty sure that nobody but young myopics can read the smaller SMD parts bare-eyed.
Old 25th January 2019, 03:58 AM   #22
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Eyesight thread
I got a new lens in my left eye yesterday. While the procedure was far from fun, it all went very smoothly and so far the outcome serms fine. Glasses are niw annoying because withiut them my right eye undetperforms, but with the my left eye is fuzzy. I tried just removing the left lens from the glasses but that was even worse. I guess I just need to be patient.
Old 25th January 2019, 06:12 AM   #23
Steve Luck is offline Steve Luck  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
I got a new lens in my left eye yesterday. While the procedure was far from fun, it all went very smoothly and so far the outcome serms fine. Glasses are niw annoying because withiut them my right eye undetperforms, but with the my left eye is fuzzy. I tried just removing the left lens from the glasses but that was even worse. I guess I just need to be patient.
Good luck - My eyesight is pretty well perfect now. Once in a while I get some optic effects notably if I catch the halogen spots in the kitchen side on. It's very fleeting and a curiosity rather than a complaint. I might need to keep some lubricating drops handy for comfort. Coming up to two months since my first eye was done and that's very comfortable, second eye still feels like it needs a little nursing and care for a while yet even though it's only a week behind.

Cheers

Steve
Old 26th January 2019, 09:20 AM   #24
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

No comment on cataract surgery although SWMBO is due soon but having LAZIX was the best thing I have ever done, even if it does cost me small amount in eye drops every week
Old 26th February 2019, 08:23 PM   #25
Discopete is offline Discopete  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well I'm waiting for technological advancements that correct CNV-coroidal neo-vascularization. I'm 62 and acquired this condition in my left eye only, unusual at my age. I've been receiving a monthly injection directly into my eyeball for the last 3 1/2 years with a drug called Lucentis or it's Eylea equivalent. A blood vessel trying to poke through the coroid into my retna is causing a bleeding lump directly at the focal central vision. Looks like I'm peering through a thick drinking glass bottom where everything is wiggly. The drug stops the bleeding but not the lump. Without it, the blood would render that eye totally blind. As it is, peripheral vision is still perfect and my right eye compensates for the weird effect.

An oppositely curved/distorted artificial lens could cancel it out?

Eyesight threadHide this!Advertise here!