Eyesight thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well a few weeks on i’m Still putting steroidal drops in my eyes four times a day.

17 days. My doc said 4 weeks or until the bottles were used-up, which was late in the 3rd week, so you will be dropping for another week+. Tiresome, but far less trouble than bad healing or infection.

getting a slight fluttering at the edge of my peripheral vision on occasion but it only lasts a few seconds.

Yes. My impression was that the ciliary muscle focus reflex gets annoyed that the plastic lens won't pull-focus like the old organic lens, and throws a fit/spasm. There may be a more expert explanation. It reduces in time.

Soldered up the ACA no bother. I did need to get a magnifying glass out to read the microscopic print on the smaller transistors but they’d be a problem for anyone.

Yes. The focusing range of the young eye is impressive; of the aged eye, less. The eye with one/two/range of fixed focus picked for "normal" tasks (driving and reading) will never focus at nose-length (small objects) without added lens. Aside from what you do for reading (1.5X readers good for many), you want 3.5X readers or low-X magnifier for a foot away, stronger glass for the tiny parts.

If you have a 35mm SLR camera in the attic: base lens was 50mm. Hold this back-side near object, look in the front side, infinity-focus eye now focuses 2 inches which is like a "5X magnifier" (or 20X reader!). Even cheap SLR lenses were highly corrected for the several aberrations of glass. Not optimal for a magnifier but far better than many low-price magnifiers in this power range. (Short Enlarger lenses are great too but seem to have vanished from eBay...)

I'm pretty sure that nobody but young myopics can read the smaller SMD parts bare-eyed.

I got a new lens in my left eye yesterday. While the procedure was far from fun, it all went very smoothly and so far the outcome serms fine. Glasses are niw annoying because withiut them my right eye undetperforms, but with the my left eye is fuzzy. I tried just removing the left lens from the glasses but that was even worse. I guess I just need to be patient.

I got a new lens in my left eye yesterday. While the procedure was far from fun, it all went very smoothly and so far the outcome serms fine. Glasses are niw annoying because withiut them my right eye undetperforms, but with the my left eye is fuzzy. I tried just removing the left lens from the glasses but that was even worse. I guess I just need to be patient.

Good luck - My eyesight is pretty well perfect now. Once in a while I get some optic effects notably if I catch the halogen spots in the kitchen side on. It's very fleeting and a curiosity rather than a complaint. I might need to keep some lubricating drops handy for comfort. Coming up to two months since my first eye was done and that's very comfortable, second eye still feels like it needs a little nursing and care for a while yet even though it's only a week behind.

Cheers

Steve

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well I'm waiting for technological advancements that correct CNV-coroidal neo-vascularization. I'm 62 and acquired this condition in my left eye only, unusual at my age. I've been receiving a monthly injection directly into my eyeball for the last 3 1/2 years with a drug called Lucentis or it's Eylea equivalent. A blood vessel trying to poke through the coroid into my retna is causing a bleeding lump directly at the focal central vision. Looks like I'm peering through a thick drinking glass bottom where everything is wiggly. The drug stops the bleeding but not the lump. Without it, the blood would render that eye totally blind. As it is, peripheral vision is still perfect and my right eye compensates for the weird effect.

An oppositely curved/distorted artificial lens could cancel it out?

I just picked my wife (66) up from the second of two LASIK procedures
(a day apart), for correction of lifelong astigmatism, as well as the relatively common later adult presbyopia. Only one day after the first surgery she’s at 20/40 in that eye with a little cloudiness, and was told to expect 4-6weeks for full recovery of both. It’s amazing what modern lens replacement surgery can achieve, these were trifocals. Our biggest long term adjustment will be not seeing her with glasses- other than sunglasses - after wearing them for over 50yprs. over

I’ve had to update my own prescriptions at least 4 times in the last 10years, and at over $1000 per pair of lenses and frames, the cost of LASIK - not covered by either Provincial medical or group life health plan, but claimable as a medical expense under CRA regulations - is starting to look very attractive.

Been a few months now. I still keep some lubricating drops handy for the days when I've been staring at the monitors for too long. My eyes can feel tired at the end of a long day. In general the best thing is just to get away from the screen, on those days I just pack it in and go home on time!! Seems strange that your eyes still get tired when there's no lens that they can act on anymore. Perhaps it's just the eyes themselves moving between monitors where once i would have needed to move my head more because of prescription lenses. I've had no bother night driving and with a bit of effort can read horribly small print on bits of packaging. Tiny white print on a pale green soap wrapping the other day.

Surgery came just a few weeks after starting a new job. I started parking on a beach front carpark and walking 0.7mile to work and back each day along the beach (Petone) Wellington NZ. The beach isn't spectacular but it's great to be able to see swans, ducks, gulls, oyster catchers and shags every morning. The view across the harbour is Fab. It's great to see well!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.