Cheque scam for disco gear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Had a buyer send a cheque for some disco gear.

Firstly the cheque was in euros so I didnt really know how much they had sent.

So I sent cheque to bank to wait for it to clear.

Bank rang me and said cheque could take 6-8 weeks to clear as it had no security tags on it.

They then said cheque was for £2500 when I thought it should on be for 1/10 of that.

I thought maybe sender got his decimal point in wrong place.

Bank said this is a common scam sending too much and then ask for difference to be sent back before cheque is cleared.

So be warned if it seems to good to be true then it is !

Nigel where have you been the last 20 years? This is one of the oldest scams in the book. they then cancel the cheque before clearing completes. I hope you haven't sent them the gear?

I wouldn't send the gear until it cleared.
The cheque is for 10 times what I quoted so that complicates matters.
That means if it clears I will have 9/10 of what I am not entitled to.
If i then send 9/10 back I will guarantee the cheque is then bounced !

I would sent the cheque back and apologise that your bank cannot handle it.

Its obviously a scam but the bank has the cheque now.
These scams are common.

I used to go out with a woman from Manchester.
The first night I stopped over I got up next morning to find about 50 letters under the letterbox. She said they were all offering a prize if you sent them a handling fee. She had fallen for the first one sent to her so they had sold her address to other scammers and she ended up with dozens of letters.
I warned her it was scam.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.