turntable fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You guys want to hear funny story from thanksgiving break? It has happy ending.

I used to have many turntables, up to seven, most of the time, one in each system, but was down to two recently. I gave few away to friends, just to have them started on vinyl. So I got an itch to get new turntable project, pun intended.
I have seen a deal on ebay, guy got new Pro-Ject essential turntable as present and was selling it cheaply. So I got it for $200, plus I ordered cork mat, and so on. All arrived and worked ok, but the stock cartridge is nothing special. I had AT-440MLa in the drawer, as this was supposed to be great cartridge with great reviews.
I had this cart for many years, and never used it, because every time I installed it, it did not sound right. All original, yet not a nice sound, so it was sitting in the drawer.

I was installing it on Pro-Ject tonearm, carefully, as this does not have removable headshell, and while I was securing the nuts, pressing it gently to the tonearm from the bottom, I heard little click. Tiny snap, not too loud, more like I felt it. Anyway, I finished the install, and adjusted all the usual with protractor and force with balance...I gave it a listen.
Boy o boy, it sounds great. Off course way better than stock ortofon, but finally it sounds as it was always meant to.
I never expected that it was not assembled correctly at factory, I never replaced stylus, there was no need, as it never seen any usage. And it looked ok. From the outside, one would never expect its not fitting inside. Now during the install, I must have pressed something right to snap it in place inside.
Anyway, great sound. I am running it with Yamaha C-70 preamp, which has both great phono section, as well as line level preamp part. I spent lots of time on this preamp, but its worth it.
So, what do you think about the story? Ok?

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
here is a pic of new table

Attachments

• DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 407
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When you buy a new (or used) cartridge - first thing to do is to remove the stylus and place it back again (after inspecting it via some magnifying glass)?

like this? (old picture of some other cart I took with cheap hand held microscope)

Attachments

• PICT0010.jpg
    PICT0010.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.