What is the traditional Christmas eve menu in your country?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You may eat Lutefisk in other parts of the world (including Sweden), but it comes from Norway, that's for sure.

To make lutefisk you need Cod, that's been dried, and then you soak it in lye, to break down the fibers and make the fish attain a more "fresh fish like texture" when eaten. Then you soak it in water to get rid of the Lye, and then! Very important point coming up, all you people who do not understand proper Lutefisk: You cover it in coarse sea-salt to draw out moisture, and make it seem like fish instead of gross jelly, just for a while until you think it's enough (sort of like season to taste, but more like Season until taste, experience required!), then you put it in the oven to heat. If done correctly, you will have a tasty piece of Cod that really does not need much more than a single potatoe to push around the plate, and a big load of mashed peas, and it is nice to have some fat dripping bacon on the fish, must be more fat than bacon.
The idea is that when you've eaten dried fish for a long time, you really want to have something just a tiny bit different and that's when you make Lutefisk. It is a way to transform dry fish to a tasty treat if done correctly.

Where I come from we always have both kinds of ribs, which is what people down south here call "Pinnekjøtt", a name I intensely Loathe, Pinnekjøtt is an overly fancy way to ruin good salted and dried lamb ribs in my opinion. Better to just let them soak for a few hours in a big pot and add the very important Almond potatoes when you feel like it, the Mør mentioned below should also be heated in the same pot, then the lamb ribs get fished out and a quick round in the oven set to "grill".

And then there is pork ribs (served with all the layers of meat, fat and the all important crackling skin).

Many people here in the south also like to make "Medisterkaker" which is is a sort of pork based meat-cake spiced mainly with ginger, but also some muscat.

Where I come from we make a traditional type of sausage called Mør, lots of different types of mør, but for christmas it's the pork kind that is important. I make my own Svinemør now, it is nice to have a connection with the food you eat.

Lutefisk we have for "Romjul" which is the time between Christmas (Jul) and New Year.

And ofcourse the Water of life is very important, but not too much for me, just a little bit to savor the wonderful aroma.

For dessert later in the evening, when I am eventually able to stand up for long anough to make a cup of coffee, I might just be able to achieve complete bliss, with the consumption of a single Anton Berg - Plum In Madeira, one is enough.

You may eat Lutefisk in other parts of the world (including Sweden), but it comes from Norway, that's for sure.

Plenty of Norwegians in Brooklyn NY from its era as a large sailing port.

Popular, but fired host of "A Prairie Home Companion" Garrison Keilor regaled listeners with his Christmas stories regaling the culinary wonder of lutefisk and "bachelor farmer cheese".

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Beer and take away

We take Christmas at China Hill. They are open. They usually have a table. They run a buffet.

While CH does have Chinese food and decor, being in downeast Maine for 40 years they have adapted to their customers. Half the fare would be routine in any US cafeteria. There will be a big beef roast sliced to order. Potatoes, mashed and french-fried. Mac and cheese. Southern fried chicken. Ham steak. Buffalo Wings. Also Chinese cafeteria (sauced vegetables and meat), and trays of pre-made Sushi.

To make lutefisk you need Cod, that's been dried, and then you soak it in lye, to break down the fibers and make the fish attain a more "fresh fish like texture" when eaten. Then you soak it in water to get rid of the Lye, and then! Very important point coming up, all you people who do not understand proper Lutefisk: You cover it in coarse sea-salt to draw out moisture, and make it seem like fish instead of gross jelly...
This reminds me of Back to the Future part 2: "Mom, you sure can hydrate a pizza!"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.