Health issues, family with health issues impacting you?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trying to respect other threads where I have unwittingly diverged things into health related issues.

My former spouse is going through Chemo for stage 2 breast cancer, and I have become the primary caregiver.

Anyone else dealing with health problems they are willing to discuss?

Hello Giimp.
I am studying ”Seitai method" which is Japanese therapy.
Seitai method has another point of view for breast cancer.
Those who suffer from breast cancer has stiffened muscle and ribs. Especially between 2nd rib and 3rd rib are closed. Around side of the body,Around under arm.
There are several technique for breast cancer so I would like to introduce one of these.
It may cost no money,not hard exercise,and takes 5-10 minutes but need to concentrate.
To release the symphotom, stimulate,stretch,concentrate force to most stiffend part.
Exercise below for losen lang and stimulate seventh thoracic vertebra.
To pull aim and twist to losen between ribs and concentrate/gather force toward to seventh thoracic vertebra.This is effective for around breast and spleen.
1. Kneeling and adjust the toes of the foot. Then Take right wrist by left hand.
Keep back strait.
2. Keep back strait and down left shoulder.
3. Pull left arm by right arm
Careful for not twist hip.
Then Pull up left hand. Need to be conscious to seventh thoracic vertebra.
Seventh thoracic vertebra is between the bottom of scapula so its good to
point before exercise. Also ribs under arm.
4. It is more adjusting angle more than stretching. When pull arm up, more
arched back bone.Watch not to move head.
Then keep stimulating/stretching between ribs of side body for 10seconds.
Please dont forget that main
purpose is to stretch/adjust angle/concentrate and gather force to
between ribs and ribs around under arm.
After exercise, It is success when the breathing deep downside of
stomach.
The other side exercise also.

Attachments

• P_20181121_200540.jpg
    P_20181121_200540.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 410
  • P_20181121_200745.jpg
    P_20181121_200745.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 415
Wondering what to expect with regards to the Chemo. She is less than one week since her first treatment. I understand that she will go through a cycle of progressive tiredness from the Chemo, reach a minimum, and then start recovering physically before the next treatment.

Any suggestions for dealing with it?

tamra, thanks, I will print the diagrams and text.

Until 3 years ago, I had full medical cover through my employment.
Including dental and glasses.
I was lucky.
The company paid for a double heart bypass and the aftercare.
I also had a full set of upper jaw implants.
Total cost was in excess of £30000.

Then I lost my job and that finished.
But at least here in the UK we have the NHS.
So we can cope with medical emergencies.

My heart goes out to those lesser well off people who have not got medical insurance .
and cannot afford treatment.

Andy

Trying to respect other threads where I have unwittingly diverged things into health related issues.

My former spouse is going through Chemo for stage 2 breast cancer, and I have become the primary caregiver.

Anyone else dealing with health problems they are willing to discuss?

One of my family is relearning to navigate his world after some previously suppressed (and to be fair, less symptomatic) mental health issues have come to head. It's been hard to navigate in terms of how to help him while not helping too much.

I'm not hugely conversant in breast cancer, but do work in cancer diagnostics. Which is to say I can ask people who are pros at this stuff. I presume there has been a lumpectomy and this is adjuvant radiotherapy to (hopefully) clean up any marginal/unresected tumor in the local region?

To add, generally targeted radiotherapy for breast cancer is pretty well tolerated. Chemo tends to be a bit tougher on the patient.

In any case, diet, sleep habits, and exercise are a triad of healthful habits that will make navigating treatment (and affect outcomes) a much better experience. The sooner you can get those in order the better. (If they're not already). Wishing you and your ex the best, not an easy road to travel.

Wondering what to expect with regards to the Chemo. She is less than one week since her first treatment. I understand that she will go through a cycle of progressive tiredness from the Chemo, reach a minimum, and then start recovering physically before the next treatment.

Any suggestions for dealing with it?

OK, I will talk from the perspective of a caregiver - starting from day one.

When the chemotherapy fluids enter the bloodstream for the first time, the body goes through an intense reaction to what is in effect, a customised poison. It's intent is to stop any cells of any kind, including cancer cells in the body from dividing, and it puts the body into a form of traumatic stasis. The dosage is absolutely specific to the patient. Too much will kill the patient, too little will not kill the cancerous cells.

Please do not be alarmed in any way by this - please - at its present state of the art, chemotherapy is what it is.

Usually, the chemotherapy fluids enter a shunt needle on the back of the hand, and is toxic in such a way that it will chemically burn the inside of the vein, and eventually, the vein will partially collapse. That's OK, it will heal all by itself in the fullness of time. However, the resulting shunt entry 'wound' needs to be kept scrupulously clean to heal properly between chemo sessions.

When the chemotherapy hits the blood/brain barrier, the recipient will feel a sense of confusion or delirium, and is part of what is collectively referred to as 'chemo-brain', and will play a major part in the treatment process. More about this some other time.

After 90 minutes, the chemo session is over, and you both go home. She will feel fine more or less, for a couple of days, and then she will begin to 'dip'. If she is lucky, she will not start vomiting as a side effect. If she does, there is medication available to counteract it. She will rapidly become weaker. It is best to keep her active so as to keep her metabolism going. If she wants or needs to rest - let her.

After 3 or 4 days, her white cell count will drop, and will need a immune boost from prescribed injections given subcutaneously, usually into a roll of tummy fat. If you do it yourself for her (like I did) you will need to be trained to do it properly. Don't worry, when you know how, it's easy. I did altogether 57 of them, with no ill effects or spurious infections.

The house and sick room must be clean and sterile at all times. She will be prone to opportunistic infections. You yourself - must - avoid other people with colds or respiratory infections. Vet visitors beforehand, if they are themselves unwell, they - must - stay away. This is mandatory. If there is a need for physical touch of any kind, make sure your hands are properly clean beforehand.

After 10 days, the dip will hit a trough, and more than likely she will be sleeping a lot. Keep the room warm, but not too hot. Keep the room well ventilated, not too dry or damp. She may or may not feel like eating, but she - has - to eat. Keep it nice and simple with small portioned regular meals to maintain a well balanced diet. I strongly advise organic foodstuffs, and keep well away from processed foods. During this time, the body will be massively shedding cells from the linings of the alimentary tract from mouth to anus, including the bronchus and sinuses. Some days eating solid food will become impossible, so feed her liquid foods as prescribed. Her sense of smell and taste will change radically over the coming weeks, so what she can eat today may not be the same tomorrow.

Above all, get her outside in the fresh air whenever possible.

By the 12th day, she will start rising out of the dip, and start feeling better. She may in fact get ravenously hungry - feed her, and keep her fully hydrated at all times. After 21 days, she will have recovered enough from the toxicity of the chemo to be sufficiently ready for her next chemotherapy session.

This is a lot of information for you to take in, and from one caregiver to another, you sure have guts.

Ask me another question, and I will write again tomorrow.

I will also write about specific 'need to know' issues from a feminine perspective.

Good luck, and I will write again tomorrow, OK?

I apologize to all for the length of this post.

Tapestry - I've been thinking of you, I hope you and your wife are holding up well.

Gimp-
So she has had one treatment at this point? Bi-weekly treatments?

Encourage her not to spend her time consulting Dr Google. I never looked once, my doctors were my source of expertise. Don't dwell on what may be in store, just get through today- keep putting one foot in front of the other and before you know it, the treatments will be over.

What follows isn't intended to be "my story", but I'm writing it that way so you can deduce the cause/effect relationship of some of the aggravations I experienced and either minimize them, or at least understand why she may be feeling bad, sad, or irritable. Little things that seem odd may be big things to her. Just go with the flow, even if things seem silly.

I have colorectal cancer- diagnosed last July, stage 3-4. Exact chemo treatments (chemical mix, dosage, administration) vary with individual's condition and biology, so patient reactions will vary as well. The side effects are cyclic, following the chemo administration schedule, and some effects begin to linger as you proceed through the treatment. With that in mind, I can only write about my experience. If you would like to talk offline, feel free to send a PM. Obviously, I'm happy to answer questions or expound.
I did a full round of radiation with chemo last year, and 20 weeks of chemo this year. So that you will see what I meant by cyclic effects, I'll describe my administration schedule and how I was affected.

Every other Wednesday was my chemo day, when I went in for treatment. Especially during the first few treatments, I usually felt fine, or at least pretty good going in the hospital. An IV drip with anti-nausea, then the chemo. The effects began during the IV. Mild nausea, and overall poor feeling on the scale of a modest cold. Smells and temperature (cold) were very annoying during the treatment. Neuropathy, where fingers and toes tingle like they're half asleep. Mild headache sometimes. They would order breakfast when I got there and lunch while on the IV and I was able to eat fairly well. My 85yo father usually went along and talked the entire time. And while I was glad to spend the time with him, I really didn't feel like talking. I just wanted to sit and rest, hopefully get a little sleep. This got more annoying as the weeks went by.

After the IV was done, they connected me to a portable pump that kept chemo going for two days. At that point, a little dizzy, a little nausea, etc. Although the staff were super friendly and attentive, usually just getting the hell out of the chemo room and hospital made me feel 100% better. Most of the time I was in at 8:00, done by 12:00 and I would drive on to work for the rest of the day. Condition would improve through the day, again, much like a modest sickness where you feel better after you get moving. That evening was usually OK, and Thursday found nausea and overall tiredness gradually getting worse. I was still able to work on Thursdays (day2), but condition was steadily downhill. When I got home I would flop on the couch and try to relax with my family. I would usually fall asleep there around 9:00. For decades, normal bedtime for me has been 1:00-2:00 AM, so 9:00 is VERY early. Thursday night (still day2) was usually restless and poor sleep, couldn't get comfortable- much like flu sleep and the once or twice that I did toss my cookies was while trying to get through that night during the first couple of treatments. I usually ended up sleeping on the couch so I wouldn't keep my wife up. The little bzzz that the pump made every 5 minutes had started out as curious yesterday, got to the point where it wasn't noticed, but now was an annoying reminder that this feeling was going to continue.

Friday morning early (48 hrs from IV, and pump on it's last couple hours) was done hangover-style, and felt much like I had way too much beer last night, and it got progressively worse through the morning. Fully focused on waiting for the clock to get to 10:00 so I could get to the hospital and get this pump removed. Begging time to pass quickly. The 5-minute buzz interval from the chemo pump had become Chinese Water Torture. By the time 10:00 came, the hangover had often progressed from beer to "straight tequila/the last thing I remember was sitting at the bar/please God, let me live and I'll never drink again." That's a realistic comparison, not an exaggeration. I usually couldn't safely drive the 30-minute route to the hospital, and particularly, make the drive back afterwards.

Friday after leaving the hospital, just knowing the pump was gone kept me upright long enough to get to the car. The only thing I wanted was to get back home to my bed and make no movements. By late afternoon, I was feeling decent to get up and move around, eat a few bites (literally) and sit/lay on the couch rather than be isolated in the bedroom. Still feeling rough, but much like the hangover, a little better with every hour. Saturday was fair, Saturday night I was human again, Sunday was fine, and Monday was normal go back to work day.

As time went on, the cycle of these effects stayed largely the same. The bad Thurs PM-Fri PM was a peak in the cycle with Wed and Sat just being a bit off, and the rest of the two weeks being unremarkable to the point of feeling totally normal. As the residual toxins built up in my system, some effects remained, and other surfaced. Near the end of the 20 week treatment, things like dizziness hung on a bit longer after the dose.

The neuropathy got progressively worse, and though my last treatment was in May, I still have a bit in my fingertips and quite a bit in my feet. That's frustrating, because I have always been very articulate with my hands and now I'm a bit clumsy. My feet feel like I'm wearing a fresh coat of very thick mud, which makes sleeping difficult because blankets aggravate the tingly feet. I was always a side sleeper with lots of cover, now I sleep on my back with no cover or as little as possible.

IMPORTANT: She MUST eat and stay hydrated to keep fighting.
One thing that really bothered me was my sense of taste. During treatment things began to taste different. It got so bad in the last half that I had virtually no sense of taste left. I could literally pop one of those extreme sour candies in my mouth and chew it up like an M&M without tasting anything. My grandkids thought I had Super Powers. I could eat a lemon, peel and all, like an apple. That made almost everything purely a texture with no flavor. Disgusting. It was very difficult to make myself eat. If I thought there was going to be even six more months of treatment, i would have ASKED for a feeding tube. It would have driven me crazy or taken me down if I would have let it.
**Here's a tip. Eat a few bites until it's too disgusting to take another. Then try something different and do the same. Keep on until you're too frustrated to eat more. And hour later, do it again. Never quit trying something different. At one point, the only thing I could taste was Skittles. Later, it was chocolate, tomatoes. At the end, fresh cucumber was the only thing I recall tasting. The point is, just keep trying. A few bites every 30 minutes or hour can end up being a reasonable diet for the day. Keep chips, candy, chocolate, snacks of all sort close by to nibble. Something that is good today may not be good tomorrow, so don't stock up because it's all she wants right now.

For you, Gimp, enormous amounts of patience, strength, compassion, and understanding are what you need to find and put forth. Love and how much you care are obvious when you go through such lengths. Be as normal as possible, sorrow and pity have absolutely no place here.
Food, fluids and rest. Do whatever you need to do to be sure she gets that. If friends and family get in the way, give them a hug and tell them bye.

Always remember that before you know it, this will be in the past.

And most importantly, Gimp, while your job is thankless and will test your patience constantly, know that you are appreciated far beyond anything that words can express.

Last edited:
Best wishes for both of you.
Thanks for the detailed and well explained information; have not needed to use something similar so far, but it always comes handy, "you never know" .
FWIW I might someday become the subject of caregiving, so it´s good to previously have a general awareness of what to expect, on both sides.
Wish/hope your Spouse´s treatment will do fine, and achieves expected results :)

BTW, when dealing with breast cancer 15 years ago, my mother bought a wig early on just in case she needed it. She took it to her hairstylist who colored and styled the wig to match her natural hair.

It looked so natural that I never knew my own mother wore a wig during her chemo. She never told anyone, and no one ever knew the difference. She only told me last year when she thought I might want to do the same.

DPH, biopsy followed by genetic and hormone receptor testing.

ER+
HR+
Braka 2+
and HER2+

along with Ashkenazi positive genetics.

Oncologist recommended THCP treatment followed by surgery, and then radiation and continued treatment with herceptin for several years.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
My gal had a breast tumor cut, chemo, and radiation, about 1991.

The radiation was the worst, we had a feeling it was over-done, and she skipped the last couple treatments. (With my agreement, since "chemo brain" is a real thing, and she knew she was not thinking clearly.) Minor fun includes nausea and vomiting, nose-bleeds, hair thinning, and fatigue.

She recovered completely. She gets the mammograms, she worries about thorns and vibration on the arm with lymph surgery, but does about anything she wants.

The others have described support details. Feed her. But what may be most important: she is NOT going to die!! (Now.) Get that thought out of your head, because she can sense it.

DPH, biopsy followed by genetic and hormone receptor testing.

ER+
HR+
Braka 2+
and HER2+

along with Ashkenazi positive genetics.

Oncologist recommended THCP treatment followed by surgery, and then radiation and continued treatment with herceptin for several years.

Triple positive--the opposite of the worst case (triple negative), but obviously nothing one should take lightly. ER, HR and HER2 are hormone receptors, so the plan is long-term hormone therapy after resection and adjuvant radiation. TCHP is in there for neoadjuvant therapy, before surgery to reduce size of the tumor (cleaner resection). This may be the hardest part of the whole thing, in terms of immediate side-effects. Hopefully they do a better job targeting the radiation than what PRR's belle experienced!

In the grand scheme of horrible things oncologists can do to you, this is on the less-damaging side, or at least we hope. There's still the universal recommendation to try to adopt healthy habits before surgery/radiation to help with resilience and general setbacks. The healthier one goes in, the better one can take the medicine. (but alls you can do is alls you can do, so no beating yourself up about it!)

BRCA2 is a DNA double-strand break repair protein (happens during cell division sometimes), and a mutation in this gene is a common risk factor for breast cancer, but also a number of other cancers.

Also, sending my best to all of you either experiencing cancer or serving as caretakers.

Last edited:
My older brother had cancer about five years ago. Surgery, followed by chemo.

Then about three years ago he had throat cancer. Chemo, Surgery, radiation.

He seems to be doing fairly well although he lost probably 40% of his weight and is no longer my "Big Brother". He also has Parkinson's which is a whole nother issue.

She has a dual port inserted in her chest above one breast. The chemo is introduced through the port directly into the heart where there is the most blood to dilute it and send it to the rest of the body.

The first series of Chemo took from 8am till 4:30 PM. That was 6 days ago.

Right now I will feed her anything she will eat.

She complains of a raw throat, and sore tongue.

I ran some well cooked pork loin through a food processor to puree it and served it over rice and gravy which she ate about 6-8 oz of. She wouldn't eat the green beans.

I made rice pudding which she requested, and she ate about 4oz of it.

Thanks to all for sharing with me.

This truly helps.

She has started experiencing nose bleeds, which upset her.

I wish I could say that I know nothing about cancer and cancer treatment- but I can't.

All I can say is that I wish those who are going through the chemo and radiation treatment, that the treatments are all successful and that your suffering is as minimal as possible. I truly wish you all the best. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

She has a dual port inserted in her chest above one breast. The chemo is introduced through the port directly into the heart where there is the most blood to dilute it and send it to the rest of the body.

The first series of Chemo took from 8am till 4:30 PM. That was 6 days ago.

Right now I will feed her anything she will eat.

She complains of a raw throat, and sore tongue.

I ran some well cooked pork loin through a food processor to puree it and served it over rice and gravy which she ate about 6-8 oz of. She wouldn't eat the green beans.

I made rice pudding which she requested, and she ate about 4oz of it.

Thanks to all for sharing with me.

This truly helps.

She has started experiencing nose bleeds, which upset her.

Hello TheGimp,

I am relieved to see that you are getting lots of help here. Me and my wife are still right in the very thick of it, and as cancer affects in ways unique to each and every one of us, I will keep to practical generalities. Alright?

Your wife is going to lose all of her hair - all of it, even her eyebrows and eyelashes. She doesn't have to wear a wig if she doesn't want to. She can go 'au-naturel' and still look gorgeous. But it can and will be distressing for her. If she wants to wear a wig, get her the very best that money can buy and have it styled. Make sure her clothes are always spotlessly clean and colour coordinated, like as if everyday is a special occasion, because it is. I cannot emphasise this enough.

During the course of her chemotherapy, your wife is most probably going to lose all of her finger nails and toenails. That's OK, it is what happens. Inspect her hands and feet everyday for cracks or bleeding. Get some nitrile gloves, emery boards, nail scissors, prescribed emmoliant, and just be very careful with her. A pedicure and a manicure can and will become like an act of worship.

Her brain is going to be affected by the chemotherapy in ways that are unique and specific to her. Let's put it this way, your wife is on a very special journey to recover her health and vitality, and she will need a map. So get her a journal for writing down her thoughts every few days or so. Believe me, this will really help her (and you!) keep a sense of perspective. Your wife is the one in control of her own destiny, so make sure it is bright pink! Every day is a special day, and deserves a journal entry to make it so. No need for undue pressure, just keep it near her at all times.

Throughout my wife's chemotherapy, I took pictures of her using both of our iPads. We happen to be photographers, and so it was (and still is) quite natural for us to do this. As it helps us, it may in fact help you in the months to come and years ahead.

Now, let's take a look at - you - the caregiver. I'm not going to proselytise, so let's just talk about the day to day stuff. Your own health is of absolute paramount importance. You are in this for the long haul, and so long as you eat, sleep and exercise properly, you will be able to keep going almost indefinitely. Lose or gain weight if you need to, get fit if you have to. Eat like a soldier, and sleep like a baby. Take time out for yourself, because you are really going to need it. She is going to live, and you are going to win. It is not a fight, it is a journey, and believe it or not, it can be downright fun with lots of happiness along the way for both of you.

OK, this part is brutal. Be expected and prepared to entertain curious well wishers of all kinds with your 'cancer sob story'. I have to do this all the time. I hated it at first, but I've gotten really good at it. The story changes from day to day, and people by and large do mean well - even though it can be intrusive at times. Your job as caregiver is one of endurance, and your 'story' is there to help you get through all of this. I know this isn't easy, but you will have to deal with this aspect of the job the best you can. Remember, you are not a saint, and there will be days when you will really feel like kicking off with people - don't - just take a deep breath, keep calm, and carry on.

Because you are going to need to talk to other people, your friends, family and loved ones, and endless health care professionals. Maybe get some pastoral counselling - I do, and it helps me a lot. The help is out there - reach for it. There will be times when you may not feel it, but you are a lot braver than you think. We all are. Our capacity for suffering is infinite, and you will get used to it.

There, I've done my best. It's the middle of the night and I cannot sleep. I cannot think of everything, so I will write again tomorrow.

Good luck, and take each day as it comes.

tapestryofsound

Last edited:
My concern here is water quality. We have 28 deep wells here in our planned community. Three years ago our local "leaders" agreed to shut down the wells and use surface water from a lake containing large ammounts of RoundUp type chemicals. Our bill doubled as we must also pay for the pipeline. The chlorene levels are at maximun allowed and the sediment is unacceptable. No washing the autos! The water damaged the clearcoat on my new vehicle.

We are at full retirement and must now move. Its digusting, the levels of corruption within local and state goverment.
The water meets EPA water 'quality standards'. So the corruption goes up to the federal crooks too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.