Health issues, family with health issues impacting you?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last chemo is done.

I don't know if I posted, but she has been undergoing TCHP treatment. The last treatment they dropped the dosage to 80% as she had to have another blood transfusion.

She seems to be doing better so far. Less tired, etc compared to previous treatments.

4 to 6 weeks to surgery.

I expect we will see the surgeon in three to four weeks to determine the course of action.

I have no idea what all this is costing. I just pay the copays and go on.

When I was 10 I didn't know what time was. Christmas was forever away.

When I was 21, 30 seemed old and my parents were "middle aged".

When my mother died and I was 29, time stopped and I realized we don't live forever.

My father passed 9 years and 8 days ago.

I am now the Patriarch of my family.

I pray your father and mother live many more years.

I brought my wife back from hospital last night. While Notre Dame was burning, she was having hip replacement surgery. This morning, I was in the kitchen making breakfast, and through the window I saw a female black grouse. Having never seen one before, I called out to my wife. She got out of bed, picked up her crutches and walked up to the window. I passed over her binoculars and she stood unaided for several minutes in amazement at this beautiful rare creature. She wasn't limping, she wasn't in pain, she looks great.

The last six months in particular have been a special kind of unspeakable existential hell for both of us, and it looks like it is finally over. This is after five years of illness, starting with a stroke followed by subdural stent surgery, partial blindness, two different types of breast cancer, two radical mastectomies, several lumpectomies, chemo and radio therapy, removal of gall stones, and at long last, a hip replacement. Being a caregiver through all of this has changed everything for me. I now realise that people need one another to be who they are. That life is hard, you will die, so let's try harder.

Exhausted, I spent last week here in the diyAudio Lounge spouting mostly nonsense (as usual!) and it has been a nice treat shooting the breeze with some really interesting intelligent folk while feeling accepted.

Thank you everyone, it has really helped. ToS

Last edited:
Well at the risk of being thought a crackpot I would recommend reading up on some of the new work with fasting or time restricted eating. It seems that fasting a couple of days before chemo drastically lowers the side effects of nausea while at the same time making the chemo more effective. Then in breast cancer simply restricting eating to a 9 to 12 hr window like not eating anything after 4pm seems to reduce the chance of it returning by about 40%. There are a lot of videos about this and other health topics on foundmyfitness.com

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Well at the risk of being thought a crackpot I would recommend reading up on some of the new work with fasting or time restricted eating. It seems that fasting a couple of days before chemo drastically lowers the side effects of nausea while at the same time making the chemo more effective. Then in breast cancer simply restricting eating to a 9 to 12 hr window like not eating anything after 4pm seems to reduce the chance of it returning by about 40%. There are a lot of videos about this and other health topics on foundmyfitness.com

No crackpot Woody, the issue has been investigated. Article (academic) on the issue of fasting and cancer / chemotherapy:
Fasting and cancer treatment in humans: A case series report
That library contains all the research required to stay young (biologically) and healthy.

I don't think you are a crackpot either. Having thought about the matter for a few days, I have come to the conclusion that in terms of actual patient care, fasting combined with chemotherapy is simply not a good idea.

I sincerely doubt that the instigators of the idea of 'chemo-fasting' have ever known or experienced hunger or malnutrition. Cancer patients need the best of care, and part of that care is being able to eat regular amounts of good nutritious food as governed by the demands and particular requirements of the patient. As it is, during the ebb and flow of chemotherapy an individual patients eating requirements can and does change quite drastically anyway.

I remember when visiting the hospital chemotherapy room with my sick wife, I would see other patients whom to my mind lived alone, had no one to care for them, and due to poverty could not afford to eat properly. It was they who died first.

No, I don't think it is a very good idea at all. ToS

... my father who lived on Vancouver Island for much of his life, and a hardcore diy audio enthusiast (long before this forum existed), died of cancer late autumn.
My uncle who was as close to a father I've ever had, died this wednesday, after an equally hard battle against cancer.
So in well under a single year, my daughters have lost two grandfathers.
Life is very short.

... my father who lived on Vancouver Island for much of his life, and a hardcore diy audio enthusiast (long before this forum existed), died of cancer late autumn.
My uncle who was as close to a father I've ever had, died this wednesday, after an equally hard battle against cancer.
So in well under a single year, my daughters have lost two grandfathers.
Life is very short.

Hi KaffiMan,

I am really sorry to hear your uncle has died, and that your father died last year, also from cancer. Both my parents died from cancer, and my wife is in recovery from two bouts of cancer. So I have a fairly good idea of where you are right now. Stay close to your daughters, they need you as much as you need them.

I think of my parents every single day. I miss them, but they are always with me.

Yes, life is very short.

Above all, be kind to yourself - now is the right time to do all the things you need to do, and want to do.

Take care - ToS

Last edited:
We have had several friends falling ill lately including myself. Some problems are quite difficult to cure. I've been reading a lot about what many present day doctors are saying globally about how we can use our own mind to effect a cure !
Came across a book that talks about this. There are several others too but this one is a very good read .
" You are the Placebo" by Dr.Joe Dispenza . Of all the books I came across I think this one explains how we can go about it . It isn't a new discovery. It just confirms what our old scriptures have said a VERY long time ago !

Take care - ToS

Thank you.

I know there's a lot of people that share the same experience, several others around me that struggle in similar ways, and while I also consider positive thinking to have a large part in getting better, some things just can't be beat.
Hard staying on the sideline, helpless, trying to be there and be positive.

But what's life unless we at least try our best?
Better to fight hard and lose, I think that is the path of fewer regrets.

Important to remember and savour the beautiful moments when they occur.
Wade knee deep in the small moments, don't stand by and watch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.