Anyone good at promoting lurking about?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nowadays, people spend most of their time on their phones & are visually oriented, so to promote music a good idea is to become a video artist as well & get your music on Youtube. Or get a good manager... most of the non-creative stuff is a PITA, so the q. is how do you want to spend your time?

There's a lot of paperwork, that's for sure....
But it's worse the first time, getting registered all sorts of places, filling out tax forms for the US even, and therefore also diggin through trade agreements to find what articles and paragraphs to refer to etc.
Not expecting to earn anything really, but forms have to be filled out nonetheless.

After I plow through all the red tape I will try to figure out how to set up a proper twitter bot, then the next on the list is to get some youtube vids made to boost twitter activity and refer to facebook to get more than 200 followers so I can set up direct links to music on facebook, then use twitter/facebook to boost youtube/spotify and so on.

Will have to talk to my sister, maybe she could manage the facebook page...

Edit:
So after all that is under control I can see about some other tunes.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd want to do an update on this, since I'm working VERY hard right now because:

My second album is out! Available NOW!

Check it out right away on Spotify right here!
Cosmic Coincidence by KaffiMann on Spotify

If you're up to it, check out the release page on Sliptrickrecords!
KaffiMann – Cosmic Coincidence – Sliptrick Records

If you're interested in decent quality (320kps) download there's the official shop here:
KAFFIMANN | Cosmic Coincidence – Dead Pulse

If you're some kind of superultrafantastic individual, and want proper quality 24bit/96khz lossless, I also have this on Bandcamp:
Cosmic Coincidence | KaffiMann

I have a channel on youtube, working on more videos, not much to brag about, I will be doing a sort of rolling update to do a tiny little something for all the tunes. Here you go:
YouTube

So yeah, super sorry about the sales talk, and I'm REALLY not a salesman by any sort of standard. But since I was offered a record contract and they wanted to release my music, I sort of feel obliged to push it a little bit.

Nothing's for free, that's for sure. So far I've had a ton of expenses on this.

If you want to support me by listening to and perhaps even buying my album in decent quality, I'd be super happy!
If you want to give some actual tips or pointers ON ADVERTIZING and PROMOTION that's appreciated.
If you want to lend a hand "spreading the word" I'd be ecstatic!

If you are really good at marketing and consider helping me get a leg up on this, please be aware that my wallet is hemorrhaging as we speak.

Not getting rich, that's for sure.

I have a friend that's involved in promotion, and in the end he has spent years promoting artists within his particular genre, using social media platforms - he has been quite successful in creating a 'brand's for his particular genre of interest, at least locally.

He has had a handful of collaborations with respected DJs/producers (Redshift for one example), and managed to get these pressed and released on limited runs of vinyl.

Again, since it's quite niche, and genre specific, it may or may not apply to you - I dont know what you produce.

Has he made any money?

PROBABLY, but not a lot.

I can post a list of FB pages he has a hand in, if you are interested.

At the minimum it would give you other pages to promote your work

I have to admit that I'm on the fence with dnb, there a lot of rubbish, and some good, like most genres I suppose.

The Amen break is back in a big way (did it ever really go away?) So it all has a more Jungle vibe.

I often find myself listening to channels on YT, like FOMH for example. I dont even know what genre that would be. Maybe trap? Mostly vocal slow tempo music for bass heads, such as MYSTRXIVL, kazukii, skeler.

I'm still a rocker at heart!

I'm still a rocker at heart!

You keep telling yourself that :D

I really like classic hard rock and heavy metal. Some of the new stuff is good too, but it's almost difficult to turn it up properly without adjusting the EQ first.

My favourite place to shop music these days is junodownload, not that I spend that much time or money on music anymore. Before 2005 I used to buy music for about 1000-2000 NOK per month, alot of it I got rid off or sold on, kept perhaps 1/3. There's enough varied good music on there that I can just keep the FLAC playlist on random and never get tired. But every now and again I just have to buy another album or single, most of those purchases have been from Junodownload.

Really like the album Shy FX gave out last year, I got it the day after release.
90's quality music with modern sound processing, another thing I really like about Andre is that he gets proper musicians into his studio to play and record properly, frequently gets in brass players and vocalists, has a good network of musicians and people who can get the right kind of singer or instrument player he wants/needs. Have to respect that.
Really like that 2nd track on the album (not counting the intro, though that's a great part of it too) Carnival Culture, throwback/tribute to waybackwhen. If you've been into PROPER d'n'b for a while you should know the name of the original tune. :)
Takes me back, singing the original like a madman :D
YouTube

Do you know the original just from listening?

Hahahaha If you dont know that then I wonder where you've been!

Erm...

Original Nuttah

Of course there are numerous versions, DJ hype version etc.

Now when someone pulls out some old Rat Pack tape cassette, then I worry!

I was never a cheesy quaver (raver) :D

Though, Alterna8, were a local group that had some success, and lived close by - I was probably 14 or so.

They werent a patch on The Prodigy anyway

Last edited:
Yeah, so much for claiming the "rocker at heart" thing then :D

I see they've dragged out UK Apache to do that tune a couple times on stage, last video I've seen about it was '18.

The Prodigy had some good ones, but I'm a Junglist at heart, and The Prodigy was a bit too popular for me. Which used to be very tricky before the internet came along, d'n'b/jungle is more or less non-existent here. In the 90's I spent endless hours digging through vast amounts of physical media across 4-5 record shops to get a few and far between albums or compilations.

Really hard to ignore the various versions of Capleton's Duppy man/Slew dem, that has to go on any kind of top list. Nice to see lots of MC's still doing good work, like General Levy, Top Cat, MC Spyda, Tippa Irie, Sweetie Irie +++
Tenor Fly is probably my favourite, so sad he is no longer among us...
YouTube

Speaking of oldskool rave 'choons, I still keep listening to 2 Bad Mice - Hold It Down
YouTube
Absolute classic (remember to hold out 'till at least 1:10).

99.9% of my music collection is indie/rock/metal...

My last purchase was Carcass- Heartwork (only about 20 years overdue)

Something that may make you laugh...

My first album purchase at about 12 years old, was the debut album by A-Ha!

4 years later and I wouldnt have listened to it for cash, too busy with Nirvana!

A track I mentioned earlier (Rat Pack was a hint):

YouTube

I'll have to call my pal and ask him what the other tracks were, as I can't find them now...but they're all on Silent Force records

99.9% of my music collection is indie/rock/metal...

Just messing with ya :D
BTW I tried explaining to the guys at sliptrick that it's probably not the best idea to promote my stuff at metal and indie sites, but that's what they did anyway... Not expecting any reaction at all, money well wasted.

Something that may make you laugh...

My first album purchase at about 12 years old, was the debut album by A-Ha!
Yeah... We're all a bit brainwashed around that time. I was listening to Smokie for some reason I still don't understand.

4 years later and I wouldnt have listened to it for cash, too busy with Nirvana!
Yeah, was trying to avoid that. Nirvana was played ad nauseum at the youth club I used to go to, not bad music by any means, but there is such a thing as "too much". The most popular tune I really liked at the time was probably Josh Wink - Higher State of Consciousness.

A track I mentioned earlier (Rat Pack was a hint):

YouTube

I'll have to call my pal and ask him what the other tracks were, as I can't find them now...but they're all on Silent Force records
Yeah, I didn't get it but I can be a bit dense sometimes. Will check out Silent Force, thanks.

Really like this one from Faul:
YouTube
Breakdown at just over 1min, foghorns, amen break, nice'n'easy piano melody to keep it down a bit, and a most classic jungle reference :D choooooon!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.