Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Speaker Cable
Speaker Cable
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2018, 06:12 PM   #1
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker Cable

DON'T PANIC!!

I'm after suggestions based on aesthetics and practicality please.....

My speakers get moved around a lot, most of the time they are in the middle of my room. The floor is cork tiles. I want a very flexible cable that will stand being moved a lot and lie flat without complaining, and that will also blend with the floor colour to a degree. I like the look of this https://www.lampspares.co.uk/3-core-...BoC8BQQAvD_BwE but am open to all suggestions/advice. Thanks.
Old 31st October 2018, 06:42 PM   #2
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

So we canīt talk about 99.9999% oxygen free, Unidirectional or 1uF per foot twisted "low inductance" cable?
Old 31st October 2018, 06:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Only if lack of oxygen (etc) somehow increases flexibility....the colour ain't bad
Old 31st October 2018, 07:12 PM   #4
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

So buy some :-)
Old 31st October 2018, 07:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That's good advice, I probably will, I wonder how flexible it is.......
Old 31st October 2018, 07:25 PM   #6
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

In my PA systems, I need to route the speaker cables all sorts of ways and have been using 2.5 twin rubber cable. It is arctic grade and very flexible.
Available from RS, CPC, Farnell, Mouser or even your local branch of City Electrical.

This is what I use; 1600187 | Lapp 2 Core 2.5 mm2 Mains Power Cable, Black Rubber Sheath 100m, 26 A 450/750 V, H07RN-F | RS Components

Last edited by JonSnell Electronic; 31st October 2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: More info .....
Old 31st October 2018, 07:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks, that's decent stuff. Colour is an issue too though, I googled arctic mains flexes and came across this Gold Flexible Power Cable PVC Rubber Heat Resistant & Arctic | Electrical World Have you any idea how this compares flexibility wise
Old 31st October 2018, 08:58 PM   #8
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

Speaker Cable
Silicone jacket works well if you need flexible, and some flexible sleeve/net and a bit of heatshrink will pretty it up.
Old 31st October 2018, 09:20 PM   #9
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
That's good advice, I probably will, I wonder how flexible it is.......
The flexibility of welding cable would surprise you. The flexibility comes from extreme multi-stranding.
Old 31st October 2018, 09:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm drawn to this Silk Flex Cable braided twisted 2 Core 0.50mm Ideal for Pendant Lighting & Lamps | eBay Colour and twistiness appear to be my priorities. I don't want something that may loop up and do it's best to cause me or my speakers an injury. The wires run across my path, nothing I can do about that, where my speakers are positioned is the most important thing, the fact that they are in my way most of the time is a cross I have to bare, I just don't want the wires to kill me....

Speaker CableHide this!Advertise here!