WW1 Footage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That’s cowboy humour for ya

I understand that Jackson converted 100hrs of footage for a documentary in honour of the 100th anniversary of WW1 Armistice , so I’d cut him some slack ;)

Oh, and hang on to your hats for Mortal Engines

Last edited:
The WW1 film stuff is brilliant, but "Mortal Engines' looks like shite ..1 rubber chickens from me..Now if he were to weave his magic on the footage of the moon landing and the assassination of JFK, I bet he might find some little rotund prepubescent teenager with an orange face and a schlock of comb over hair in the background .. oh wait.. that might be fake news...

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
"As we approach Remembrance Sunday, this map of the Somme brings home the horror of the Great War. Each grid square is 250m squared; the number in blue is the amount of bodies found in each. One of them says 808. That’s over 3 bodies per metre squared. Lest we forget."

Attachments

• DrJPJR0UcAIEvKk.jpg
    DrJPJR0UcAIEvKk.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 92
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Watched the whole thing on BBC last night.

Like a horror movie until you realize that was real and exactly how it was.

The voice overs by some of the original combatants also amazing - I guess these were from recordings made in the '50's and '60's.

You had to be 19 to sign up, so when someone said 'I'm 17' the recruiting officer would say, 'You have to be 19 - go to the back of the line.'
2nd time around 'How old are you?'
'19 sir'
'sign here . . . '

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My grandfather lied about his age to get a job on the railway. When the WWI came he was drafted underage because of his lie. He spent the war in the signal corps stringing wires across France. After the war he returned to his true love - the railway.

"As we approach Remembrance Sunday, this map of the Somme brings home the horror of the Great War. Each grid square is 250m squared; the number in blue is the amount of bodies found in each. One of them says 808. That’s over 3 bodies per metre squared. Lest we forget."

The first wave over the top thought all the wire and German trenches were obliterated and it would be a leisurely stroll across no mans land.
I cannot imagine what was going through the minds of the second wave, hearing the German machine guns while waiting for the whistle, it must have been terrifying.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.