5G

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used to go mountain bike riding on the trails in Quiet Waters Park (near the turnpike and 10th street). That place was destroyed by Wilma. All the pine trees were branchless after the storm and didn't recover for years if ever.

I lived in Sunrise near the Sawgrass Mills Mall. All those pictures were from the area just east of the mall. The mall itself got whacked pretty bad, and the picture of downed power poles was from Flamingo road on the east side of the mall.

This is of the mall parking lot, and the sunset following the storm, and my front yard during and after most of the clean up was done. My fence was NOT built according to code, hence it survived. The gates were ripped off because I was stupid enough to tie them closed. If I had tied them all the way open, they might have survived. I picked them up with an engine crane and rehung them and all was well. The 1973 Dodge Challenger was wrapped in moving blankets, then tarps, then a car cover, and a final layer of tarps. ALL were gone without a trace during the 15 minutes of ugly, but the car itself was unharmed. Most of the large tree in the yard wound up in the debris pile or in trash bags. Several "tree experts" told me that it would not survive, and they would cut it up for around $500. I politely told them where to stick their chain saw, and let nature take its course. It took about 5 years, but fully recovered and still stands today.

Attachments

• mall1.jpg
    mall1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC04016.JPG
    DSC04016.JPG
    524.5 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC04063.JPG
    DSC04063.JPG
    602.2 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC04066.JPG
    DSC04066.JPG
    567.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC04130.JPG
    DSC04130.JPG
    580.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC04135.JPG
    DSC04135.JPG
    595.2 KB · Views: 65
5G to the phone user could be used in a manner similar to WiFi today. A large area full of people like a shopping mall or airport terminal could be served with 5G in the millimeter wave frequencies, but this would be the path of last resort, so it's only going to be used after the other bands have reached capacity.

It would take some distributed antenna techniques to cover a large area and since 28 GHz won't penetrate a crowd of people, it's likely coming from the ceiling via "beam steering." One antenna can send out several small beams of RF, each tracking a single user through a crowd, all on the same RF channel. The technology exists today, called MIMO (multi in multi out) but it's expensive, and eats more power compared to the same coverage at say 5 GHz.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I saw a skyworks presentation (also referred in this thread I think) which referred to the vital need for HD video uploads and downloads to mobile devices (!!), and the need for 2GB/s speeds... I laughed - where's the backhaul for that? 4G has been held back here because backhaul can't cope... Even the best wired / fibre internet can only manage 100MB/s - and that will be frequently throttled at busy times. It can all be done, but the funding isn't at all clear.!

I got fiber.
Stuck at 80mbps both ways, it's the lowest I can get from the provider.
On this PC I only get 21mbps because it's on a lan over powerline adapter. But I do get 81mbps on the "entertainment" PC that's connected on the gigabit network.

Fastest available to my house is 1000mbps both ways. There are providers that deliver more than this, the first Norwegian 10gigabit customer (regular household, not a company) was registered in 2015.

Last edited:
...anyone else use RTTY or SSTV?

I played with SSTV many many years ago, then built a fast scan ATV set up from a PC electronics board that I got at a hamfest. Built a power amp for it using free modules I got from the in house Motorola Semi sales rep who was a ham and told me that it wouldn't work.......A few months later I would be demonstrating it to the Motorola Ham Radio Club.

P.C. Electronics - Our History.

An enterprising ham had figured out that two of the channels found on most cable converter boxes, and cable ready VCR's fell in the UHF ham band, so he set up an ATV repeater on some leased space on one of the Miami TV station towers. Most cable boxes and VCR's needed a preamp to receive the 50 watt signal. There was an easy to make preamp in an app note from Motorola that used the MRF901. I made lots of those. The RX antenna was further up the tower than the TX antenna, so you could hit that repeater from 20 miles out with 5 watts.

I never ran RTTY since it required real teletype hardware in the 80's when I was an active ham. It has made a bit of a comeback recently since it can be done on a PC and it's included in some of the ham radio software packages.

You might ask the same question in this forum since it is mostly ham talk lately:

No RF gear here?

I was just making the point that we've come so far!

As with the resurgence of vinyl records and to a lesser extent music cassettes, the remake of the Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro, sometimes what was old becomes new again.

There are now several ham radio contests for RTTY only, and RTTY mode is only a button press away on some radios and ham radio programs.

rttycontesting.com – Dedicated to RTTY mode contesting

CQ WW RTTY - Home

As for SSTV, apparently it is still used, by some hams, and images are still sent from the ISS in the 2M ham band whenever a ham takes a trip into space. It just takes a PC with a sound card plugged into the audio output on a receiver to get these images. The resolution is somewhat less than STD DEF over the air TV, and it takes around a minute per picture. Will it ever become more popular.....I doubt it.....may it RIP.

In an ironic turn, I have accepted a contract job back in the cellular design world. I have spent the last 10 days or so catching up on what I have missed in the last few years.

Back in the early 90's I left the two way radio operations at Motorola to work in a Motorola "think tank" operation that had come to the realization that everyone who wanted a pager had one. The market was nearly saturated, so how do we sell more pagers or paging technology........we put pagers in THINGS.

So we stuck pagers on lighting systems such that the lights could be controlled remotely, we put pagers on golf courses to control the irrigation system's pumps and valves. We stuck pagers in those scrolling LED signs, and huge billboards that displayed the current lottery jackpot........Sound familiar?

It was a neat gig, combining radios, microprocessors, and software, but like all cool jobs, it came to an end when company politics killed off the whole division and I found a job designing cell phones.

Fast forward 25 years or so and we find ourselves in the current world, where for countries like the USA, the cell phone market is somewhat saturated. Everyone who wants one, has one.....sure it may not be the latest trendy shiny object, but that's a different issue. Most cell phone plans give you text and talk for next to nothing, they SELL you DATA. How does a cellular carrier sell more data if they aren't adding more human users? You add LOTS of NON-HUMAN users, AKA the IoT, Internet of Things.

Sure, most of the THINGS that want, or need to be internet connected can be accessed with WiFi or wire, but there is a huge untapped market out there of things that can NOT be served with either.......The area that I live in is in the middle of a huge buildout of the fracking industry. Pipelines, and well heads dot the landscape. They industry currently puts in more wire and fiber than pipe.....because that's how it's always been done.

The major cell carriers like AT&T and Verizon already have stuff in place for this and offer service. Want LTE control and monitoring of your well head without wires, they have a data plan for than......how much data do you want, and how fast? Where is the hardware for it all......it's coming, but slowly. Why? Right now the need is bigger than the knowledge base, because it's something new......how big?

One estimate says up to 80 BILLION cellular connected devices by 2025 most of these will be at a fixed location......This is what's driving 5G. Another common theme I keep hearing is "autonomous connected self driving cars."......IoT may be driving 5G, but I don't want 5G driving my car......OOPS, dropped the call, sorry, you crash!

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Congratulations!
Most of my work is heading for the IoT buzzword... LTE Cat M is the popular cellular solution here, especially as it's preferred by most networks here moving forward to 5G, compared to NB1. Certainly it gives good range, and is good for low power consumption. Roll out is still slow though.
The biggest folk deciding what IoT means - they know they should have it but... :D
Oh, that and expectations that it will cost $5c and not need a proper antenna design...

Talking of 5G, we got a marketing presentation for 5G recently. We were told there was a "need" for on the go UHD TV download and upload! Up to 2GBPS.... Even if that worked to the phone, that's way beyond current backhaul....

Last edited:
That is how modern markets work. You convince the regulators that there is pent up demand for more bandwidth, so they release spectrum - including by squashing existing users into less and less space. You develop the technology. You then convince the users that they need to use more bandwidth, and help them to do this by using bandwidth less responsibly. (For example, why is it that news websites are now full of video, including video adverts - I just want to read some text, if I want video news I will turn on the TV).

I blame the IEEE! Their magazines are always full of the latest things which are just around the corner, all of which will make our lives so much better. I guess in the 1950s the chemical societies' newsletters were full of the unmitigated advantages of plastic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.