Asperger Syndrome?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I meet up with friends at least twice weekly at a local pub, we have few beers and enjoy the immediacy and humour of each others company. We often discuss current affairs, politics and religion are always in the headlines and most of our comments are derogatory.
I have never been able to develop the skills required to be a good social media participant and found it mostly pretty humourless and self promoting.
The link below is a synopsis of a medical paper which I found interesting and could explain why there are habitual posters on forums.
I'm not suggesting there are members with Aspergers on this forum but it would make for interesting discussion?
EmeraldInsight

My son has AS and prefers communicating through his computer. He gets anxious during face to face social situations and often withdraws. Email, chat boards, texting, etc. are more comfortable for him because it allows him time to formulate what he wants to say and he doesn't need to worry about recognizing facial cues and reactions from other people. By looking at him, you would never know he's autistic...but once you try to engage in conversation with him, it becomes evident.

It's an ongoing struggle for him and practicing face to face social interactions is the only way we have found to help him improve. It also helps when we can place him in social situations with other folks that have the same hobbies/likes.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> I'm not suggesting there are members with Aspergers on this forum

Of course there are! Simple statistics ensures some are. There's no fence to keep them (us?) out. There is a w i d e variety of personalities here who have many ways of dealing with the the world and other people.

I do suggest reading The Psychopath Test - Wikipedia . It does wander all {yawn} around the bushes. But you learn that many of the "labels" are essentially made-up arbitrarily by a small cabal of self-appointed experts.

Email, chat boards, texting, etc. are more comfortable for him because it allows him time to formulate what he wants to say and he doesn't need to worry about recognizing facial cues and reactions from other people.
That's fine. I friended someone online who said he has AS. He is and has always been a nice guy. We still are friends.

There are some people with certain condition that get aggressive in both online and real world. I've ran into a few like that. They cause problems in both online and real world. One recent case I've witnessed is a guy with bipolar disorder who got into fight at public park multiple times and ended up getting a restraining order from the town authority. He then started sending vulgar messages ("f" word, "m-f-er"...etc.) on Facebook to his Facebook friends. Then he did something else that landed him in jail for a month. It's not hard to spot guys like that in real world but it is on internet forums.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I've been following audio forums for over ten years and absolutely there is a sizeable number of folks who are on the spectrum. It took me a long time to figure it out, but over time people reveal certain things as well as greater media scrutiny on the personality types that are drawn to compulsively post online and on social media. Eventually I found myself in a work situation with someone who was obviously on the spectrum even though no one wanted to bring it up. I was left on my own to figure out how to work side by side with this person. It was one of the most difficult social experiences I have ever had, but it was ultimately rewarding in that we became good work friends.

For this reason, amongst others, I have chosen to reduce my participation online. I've come to realize that what I want out of the experience is much different than what others want and my own communication style is not a good fit in the context of engaging with folks who may be on the spectrum (I thrive on subtle cues, expressions, sarcasm, dry humor - but also comity, compromise, team engagement and personalized constructive criticism).

Last edited:
I've only just been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I'm 53 and frankly it can't that bad because it hasn't hindered me really. It does however explain a lot of what made me feel different than most people.
I should get a more detailed report in the next few weeks.

A common trait is a greatly enhanced sense for detail which I would think is an advantage in certain subjects like electronics, physics, maths or welding :)

PS: This forum is the reason I got myself tested in the first place so I should probably thank everybody here but in particular some participants in the Autism and Responses to Auditory Stimuli thread!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I've only just been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I'm 53 and frankly it can't that bad because it hasn't hindered me really. It does however explain a lot of what made me feel different than most people.
I should get a more detailed report in the next few weeks.

A common trait is a greatly enhanced sense for detail which I would think is an advantage in certain subjects like electronics, physics, maths or welding :)

PS: This forum is the reason I got myself tested in the first place so I should probably thank everybody here but in particular some participants in the Autism and Responses to Auditory Stimuli thread!

Thanks for sharing Charles.

I'm not suggesting there are members with Aspergers on this forum but it would make for interesting discussion?

There are, at least I've been diagnosed with Asperger's a couple of years ago. I soon decided that I don't want to spent the rest of my life in a proverbial closet, so I'm openly autistic.

Communicating in writing is indeed much easier than in person: for one thing, there is more time to formulate an answer without other people thinking you're finished and interrupting you. By the way, most people with Asperger's have some sense of humour, although it may be somewhat peculiar humour.

Yeah, whatever, how about a joke then? ;)

I sometimes deliberately make or write remarks that are perfectly logical, yet totally absurd.

For example, when a female colleague said (in a group) that she likes men because she's straight, I answered that that doesn't make sense, because I'm also straight, but prefer women.

Another example:
The used pseudorandom number generation algorithm is the so-called XORSHIFT128+ algorithm [41]. Its period is 2^128 - 1 cycles, which comes down to a period time of almost 4E23 years when running at 27 MHz clock rate. This means that instead of being continuous, its output spectrum consists of discrete peaks at all multiples of 7.93459E-32 Hz, but one would have to listen for almost 4E23 years and to have an exceptionally good auditory memory to notice this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.